First 242505152535462 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Very rational, but I have to disagree. The problem is not with specific people, but with the system that allow them to do what they did legally. Even worse, if a protest movement was too focused, it would not draw the passion of enough people to reach the critical mass that is required for systemic change.

I think the current approach is good. Let the people simply express mass dissatisfaction with status quo. Leave it up to the experts to come up with the solution.
    I agree with this, @redcheerio. I would add, however, that people at the top who did act criminally, like AIG's Joe Cassano, should be prosecuted.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    At the same time, I think because it isn't focused, that it divides the people moreso. I won't join it because it is not focused or practical enough. It seems to be more of an outlet for the people than an actual move to solve the problems, from a practical standpoint.
    The onus is not on them to solve the problem. If enough people voice their dissatisfaction, the experts who want their votes will work at the solution.

MBTI
    INTj

At the same time, if someone is then CEO, it's what I consider to be their baby, for the time being. They are running the show, and calling the shots. They are not just temporary guardians lol..... they play a much greater role.
    So if you invested $100k in a corporation, you would be OK if the CEO treated it like his personal cash and spent it on a lavish party for his mistress?

Who is grabbing a bag of money and then running off?
    Many CEOs. Paying themselves tens of millions just for showing up is as good as stealing it from the shareholders.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

The onus is not on them to solve the problem. If enough people voice their dissatisfaction, the experts who want their votes will work at the solution.
    Yea, I don't see that as a proper solution. If there isn't a plan, I see no point. The solution will still be pro-the-system, not the people. They'll just finagle it around so it looks good on paper, and bullshit the people.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

So if you invested $100k in a corporation, you would be OK if the CEO treated it like his personal cash and spent it on a lavish party for his mistress?
    What matters to me is my ROI. Period.
    If the CEO is breaking no laws, I don't care if he dances with Madonna in the middle of Park Avenue.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

If I think I can benefit from investing 100k in a corporation, I'll do it.
    It's not my business how they are spending their pay, that they have rightfully earned. What I invest and what they are paid in salary are two different things.
    Many CEOs. Paying themselves tens of millions just for showing up is as good as stealing it from the shareholders.
    I don't see it as "just for showing up". They've earned the money, through working. If the shareholders don't like the company or their actions, they can take their money elsewhere. As I said, the people have spoken.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What matters to me is my ROI. Period.
    If the CEO is breaking no laws, I don't care if he dances with Madonna in the middle of Park Avenue.
    ROI is -100%.

ROI is -100%.
    Dance with Madonna.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Don't you think the protest would be more effective if it was targeted towards the few people at the top who caused the problem in the first place, rather than entire organizations, mostly made up of people who work there because it's a job?

And don't you think it would be more effective to target corruption rather than entire banks, corporations, or the entire system of capitalism?

That was the original intent by those who started the protests, anyway.
    Very rational, but I have to disagree. The problem is not with specific people, but with the system that allow them to do what they did legally. Even worse, if a protest movement was too focused, it would not draw the passion of enough people to reach the critical mass that is required for systemic change.

I think the current approach is good. Let the people simply express mass dissatisfaction with status quo. Leave it up to the experts to come up with the solution.
    OK, so maybe the people who caused it would be the wrong focus for the protest, also.

But the fact that many of the protestors are making it sound like anyone who works on Wall St is evil, is drawing opposition that wouldn't otherwise be there if they made it clearer that it is the corruption they are protesting, not the entire existence of banks and big business.

I think it would draw more support and less opposition if they made it clearer that it is the corruption they are protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I agree with this, @redcheerio. I would add, however, that people at the top who did act criminally, like AIG's Joe Cassano, should be prosecuted.
    Makes sense.

What do you think of the suggestion to make it clearer that it is the corruption they are protesting?

MBTI
    INTj

If I think I can benefit from investing 100k in a corporation, I'll do it.
    It's not my business how they are spending their pay, that they have rightfully earned. What I invest and what they are paid in salary are two different things.
    Did I mention that I am willing to accepting investments right this minute, especially from trusting clients.

I don't see it as "just for showing up". They've earned the money, through working.
    So has the janitor. Why doesn't he get 10M/yr? Perhaps it's because he isn't being paid by his buddies with other people's money.

[/quote]
    If the shareholders don't like the company or their actions, they can take their money elsewhere. As I said, the people have spoken.[/QUOTE]
    Not if the entire system is corrupt.