User Tag List

First 41495051525361 Last

Results 501 to 510 of 723

  1. #501
    Senior Member redcheerio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9
    Posts
    912

    Default

    @Orangey and @Critical Hit

    Don't you think the protest would be more effective if it was targeted towards the few people at the top who caused the problem in the first place, rather than entire organizations, mostly made up of people who work there because it's a job?

    And don't you think it would be more effective to target corruption rather than entire banks, corporations, or the entire system of capitalism?

    That was the original intent by those who started the protests, anyway.

  2. #502
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  3. #503
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Not all CEO's make that kind of money. Many make well-below 1 mil a year. There's the exhorbitantly rich, and then there are the "normal" CEO's lol......
    True. But its not the amount they make that bothers me. It's how they do it. They managed to create a runaway system where executives simply keep awarding each other bigger and bigger bonuses, just because they can.

  4. #504
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    True. But its not the amount they make that bothers me. It's how they do it. They managed to create a runaway system where executives simply keep awarding each other bigger and bigger bonuses, just because they can.
    Let's be truthful.... if it were your business and you had started and created it, wouldn't you give yourself a bonus, and others who you feel deserve it? Let's be really truthful, because I would. Does that make me greedy? I don't think so. It's my business, and I worked for it. If it generates enough money for me to give out bonuses, then the people have spoken. They bought the product, and they must like it. Does that make me evil because I supply goods to the public that people like and buy, and they reward me for it? I don't think so.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #505
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Supposedly the movie Margin Call is very good, giving you a perspective from the bankers.

  6. #506
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Don't you think the protest would be more effective if it was targeted towards the few people at the top who caused the problem in the first place, rather than entire organizations, mostly made up of people who work there because it's a job?
    Very rational, but I have to disagree. The problem is not with specific people, but with the system that allow them to do what they did legally. Even worse, if a protest movement was too focused, it would not draw the passion of enough people to reach the critical mass that is required for systemic change.

    I think the current approach is good. Let the people simply express mass dissatisfaction with status quo. Leave it up to the experts to come up with the solution.

  7. #507
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Let's be truthful.... if it were your business and you had started and created it, wouldn't you give yourself a bonus, and others who you feel deserve it? Let's be really truthful, because I would. Does that make me greedy? I don't think so. It's my business, and I worked for it. If it generates enough money for me to give out bonuses, then the people have spoken. They bought the product, and they must like it. Does that make me evil because I supply goods to the public that people like and buy, and they reward me for it? I don't think so.
    The catch is that it is NOT their business. They are simply temporary guardians. The system should not allow them to grab a bag of money and then run off. But that's exactly what happens.

  8. #508
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Very rational, but I have to disagree. The problem is not with specific people, but with the system that allow them to do what they did legally. Even worse, if a protest movement was too focused, it would not draw the passion of enough people to reach the critical mass that is required for systemic change.

    I think the current approach is good. Let the people simply express mass dissatisfaction with status quo. Leave it up to the experts to come up with the solution.
    At the same time, I think because it isn't focused, that it divides the people moreso. I won't join it because it is not focused or practical enough. It seems to be more of an outlet for the people than an actual move to solve the problems, from a practical standpoint.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  9. #509
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    Supposedly the movie Margin Call is very good, giving you a perspective from the bankers.
    Actually, it was pretty damn anticlimactic. Boring with a capital B.

  10. #510
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The catch is that it is NOT their business.
    That's not always true. The founders are many times, the CEO's. It's true in some cases, that the founders are not the CEO's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    They are simply temporary guardians.
    At the same time, if someone is then CEO, it's what I consider to be their baby, for the time being. They are running the show, and calling the shots. They are not just temporary guardians lol..... they play a much greater role.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The system should not allow them to grab a bag of money and then run off. But that's exactly what happens.
    Who is grabbing a bag of money and then running off?
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Similar Threads

  1. Career choice gone awry... help?
    By Tamske in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 02:02 AM
  2. 'Occupy Wall Street' is counter-motivational
    By FunnyDigestion in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM
  3. Wall Street
    By Mondo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
  4. Wall Street's Driving Up Oil Prices
    By sLiPpY in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 03:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO