First 234561454 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is true perhaps but even they cover stories like this if it sells and they can portray the protests in a certain light, there's been a complete media black out on it. Considering the amount of coverage that the disturbances across the arab world are receiving every day it is curious.
    I think the policy is generally silence, but if it gets out of hand then it can resort to painting it in a bad light. Sort of like what the press tried to do with the whole NAFTA thing back in the 90's. They tried not to talk about it so as not to make it a public concern, but then the opposition was getting rowdy so then they resorted to talking smack.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think the policy is generally silence, but if it gets out of hand then it can resort to painting it in a bad light. Sort of like what the press tried to do with the whole NAFTA thing back in the 90's. They tried not to talk about it so as not to make it a public concern, but then the opposition was getting rowdy so then they resorted to talking smack.
    I have noticed some major bias of that kind in US coverage on broadcasts I've seen while on holiday or late, late at nite/early morning in the UK or on Sky, it used to surprise me watching them knowing that in the US it was/is common for the there to be a popular perception that the media is dominated by liberal opinion.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    How so? Do elaborate.
    What exactly is the reason these people are protesting? I see a whole bunch of different personal gripes written on signs as if it was bundled together and organized against someone or something in particular. What are they protesting, the existence and effects of money? It seems the whole thing is purely driven by ignorant sensationalism--a general but very vague feeling of uproar, and yet lacking a real reason to get so riled up in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the thread. It's very interesting.
    Good intentions are not enough.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Iacobus View Post
    What exactly is the reason these people are protesting? I see a whole bunch of different personal gripes written on signs as if it was bundled together and organized against someone or something in particular. What are they protesting, the existence and effects of money? It seems the whole thing is purely driven by ignorant sensationalism--a general but very vague feeling of uproar, and yet lacking a real reason to get so riled up in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the thread. It's very interesting.
    I think the individual "gripes" can generally be placed under the banner of "end global capitalist domination." It doesn't take too much effort to find that out, and it is an admirable goal even if the protests aren't being carried out as effectively as they could be.

The way things are going is reminding me strongly of the whole G20 debacle.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP

http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/09/2...ls-of-the-day/

Dont know if anyone posted this yet, but its pretty fucked up.

Also, food for though: Every time someone pulls a useless stunt like this and it doesnt accomplish anything it weakens the belief in the public that any mass political action can accomplish something. Ergo: These protests are a bad thing.
    +10% Crit Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    Ergo: These protests are a bad thing.
    Illegal protests like this one, yes, it is. They never got a permit. That means they don't deserve recognition for anything other than what they are doing - engaging in unlawful activity.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Illegal protests like this one, yes, it is. They never got a permit. That means they don't deserve recognition for anything other than what they are doing - engaging in unlawful activity.
    You have to have a permit to speak your mind? Now that's silly.

However, I do agree that protesting in the streets to the point of blocking traffic can be aggravating. I realize their point is to occupy the streets in order to cause congestion... but I don't think it's the best method.

Would it be better to have held this type of protest in D.C.? Is there any one particular person they are hoping will step down and right their wrongs? This is where I find their protest to have sort of a failing. This isn't a protest that will actually affect the 1% that they are trying to get their message to.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    You have to have a permit to speak your mind? Now that's silly.
    What's "silly" is you making up something I never said.

No matter how you want to spin it, it's an illegal protest without a permit. It's common knowledge you can't conduct a parade, protest, demonstration etc. without a city permit.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I do think that stunts or Quixote gestures do deplete the very reserves of energy that are needed to attack wrong doing but I always hope that the latest protest isnt just a stunt or trouble making.

Whether its an amalgam of individual grievances or not is it not important that someone is saying what the government and media are terrified of saying, if only because economies seem to run on hot air and hopes, that there is something seriously rotten with how capitalism is presently.

I dont support capitalism at all but even I can tell that what is happening at present is not what Adam Smith et al had in mind and, no, I dont think that they believed that markets where good because they permitted the rich total God like liberty and guaranteed popular servility.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    That isnt what I meant at all. I dont think the legality of a protest has much effect on its outcome, and even if it was legal it wouldnt change my point.
    +10% Crit Chance