MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack427 View Post
    I doubt you would understand anyway.
    LOL. Yeah, I won't understand it when you repeat for the thousandth time that most of the protesters are hippies. Or that the violence in Rome makes you lose "faith in humanity."

You must be a little kid or something. I think I'll stick to what I originally said...you think the protests will not be effective because Jesus fucking said so.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    LOL. Yeah, I won't understand it when you repeat for the thousandth time that most of the protesters are hippies. Or that the violence in Rome makes you lose "faith in humanity."

You must be a little kid or something. I think I'll stick to what I originally said...you think the protests will not be effective because Jesus fucking said so.
    It's not that I believe you wouldn't understand, I just don't think you would make the effort to look at things from my point of view.

Yeah, hi. I'm Jack the 7 year old that watches the news because I like watching people throw bottles. ( That was sarcasm, before you go taking everything literally like you seem to. )

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack427 View Post
    It's not that I believe you wouldn't understand, I just don't think you would make the effort to look at things from my point of view.

Yeah, hi. I'm Jack the 7 year old that watches the news because I like watching people throw bottles. ( That was sarcasm, before you go taking everything literally like you seem to. )
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Cracked.com had a really good article on this topic, they contrasted the one or two informed and saavy protestors with the usual idiot who possesses the vague but vocal sense of moral outrage which the media focus in on if they are covering it at all.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    So you read an ancient text about animals talking and people being turned in to salt, and it just so happens to mention city that archeologists find exists, therefore it is all true?

Harry Potter takes place in London.
    London exists.
    Harry Potter exists.

QED motherfuckers.
    I'm not following the trollathon which this thread has detoured into but I assume all your liberal warriors who're trashing the bible feel exactly the same way about Plato's Timarus, Aristotale's Ethica or Hesiod's Work and Days because there's detail in each of them which cant be established as being 100% historically factual?

The eagerness with which you all finely and unthinkingly represent that mindset which would through out everything older than touch screen mobile phones is astounding.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Man, for about four pages there virtually every post is by someone I got on ignore. You know what this is? Its a goddamned Troll orgy!!!

I declare this thread is Mordor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I assume all your liberal warriors who're trashing the bible feel exactly the same way about Plato's Timarus, Aristotale's Ethica or Hesiod's Work and Days because there's detail in each of them which cant be established as being 100% historically factual?
    Yes, you most likely do.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm not following the trollathon which this thread has detoured into but I assume all your liberal warriors who're trashing the bible feel exactly the same way about Plato's Timarus, Aristotale's Ethica or Hesiod's Work and Days because there's detail in each of them which cant be established as being 100% historically factual?

The eagerness with which you all finely and unthinkingly represent that mindset which would through out everything older than touch screen mobile phones is astounding.
    Im not saying that. Im saying we have to be careful about taking everything a books says as factual because some of it overlaps with fact. Especially when the parts that dont overlap with fact are fantastical nonsense.

And I dont know of a book called Plato's Timarus, although I know of Plato's Timaeus which is the story of how an all knowing Craftsman created everything.

Funny you should mention Plato because he had a real nasty habit of putting words in peoples mouths, I very much question the historical accuracy of his work especially when it deals with other philosophers.

EDIT: Also Im not attacking the Bible per say Im attacking his logic for supporting the Bible.

@Jack427, If you have a symbolic, not literal interpretation of the Bible then why would "archeological evidence" even matter to you?
    +10% Crit Chance

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Im not saying that. Im saying we have to be careful about taking everything a books says as factual because some of it overlaps with fact. Especially when the parts that dont overlap with fact are fantastical nonsense.

And I dont know of a book called Plato's Timarus, although I know of Plato's Timaeus which is the story of how an all knowing Craftsman created everything.

Funny you should mention Plato because he had a real nasty habit of putting words in peoples mouths, I very much question the historical accuracy of his work especially when it deals with other philosophers.
    That would be a typo.

I'm not sure that the craftsman allusion is correct, that sounds like masonry, I thought it was closer to Aquinas' cosmology of the divine mover or first mover, anyway that's part of it but its not the greater part which is a discussion among Socrates and guests about Atlantis with reference to a previous talk about the ideal constitution or republic, they discuss Atlantis as fact, desptie the fact that most contemporary research doesnt simply suggest that this could not possibly have been established as such but that Plato even invented the idea himself.

I deliberately mentioned Plato for the exact reason you mention, its a popular thing for people to say about Plato but there's no real way of knowing is there? Does it invalidate his material altogether? Well, going by the standard you set for the bible definitely so, in fact, as I said, there's not a great deal of the literary and cultural corner stones of western civilisation (or I'd suspect any other civilisation) which could comply with that standard.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp

EDIT: Also Im not attacking the Bible per say Im attacking his logic for supporting the Bible.

@Jack427, If you have a symbolic, not literal interpretation of the Bible then why would "archeological evidence" even matter to you?
    I never said it was all symbolic. Parts of it are.