User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default UN rejects water as human right

UN rejects water as human right
    Canada criticized for supporting status quo

Mike De Souza, Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008

OTTAWA -- The Harper government can declare victory after a United Nations meeting rejected calls for water to be recognized as a basic human right.

Instead, a special resolution proposed by Germany and Spain at the UN human rights council was stripped of references that recognized access to water as a human right... Federal officials in Canada said last week that the government wanted to ensure the meeting's outcome reflected the fact that access to water is not formally recognized as a human right in international law. But a social advocacy group said that the position was designed to protect the right to sell water under the North American Free Trade Agreement...

"Clearly [the Harper government is] happy with the status quo: They're not going to be an agent for change, and they're not going to support the right to water," said Maude Barlow, chair of the Council of Canadians. "About every eight seconds, a child somewhere in the world is dying from dirty water, and it's just shocking that our government has taken this position."

The opposition Liberals supported the government's position last week, arguing that the original UN resolution could open the door to bulk water exports to the U.S. because of NAFTA...(more at link)

MBTI
    OMNi

When bottled water became a $15 billion a year business, well...money speaks louder than people dieing of dehydration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

this makes me sick to my stomach
    how could we lobby for this ?
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ESFJ

Of course water is not a human right. What a silly notion.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Enneagram
    1w2

Is it access to clean drinking water or access to water regardless of if it's drinkable or not? If worse comes to worse someone could collect rain water because that falls from the sky. It may not be drinkable because of pollution but it's still free.

But if this is a matter of having irrigation and sewage systems bringing drinkable water to people, I don't know if that is a human right. It's nice for everyone to have drinkable water, but...It's like we don't want people to starve and be hungry, but it happens because well it does.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

The OP makes this sound really bad, but when you realize that with rights come regulations and inefficient beaurocracies, you realize that it's also very wise. The free market can better distribute goods and services than any government agency ever could - and DEFINITELY better than the UN could. Imposing laws, quotas or regulations on water would make the situation WORSE, not better, because the free market is a better distributor than governments are.

Rights are psychological constructs used to limit government intervention. They are not tangible things. You don't "have" rights. Access to water is not a right, it's a lovely convenience, a comodity. Yes, everyone needs water to survive bla blah blah, but to say you have a "right" to it is absurd, and not even the rhetoric condoned by the UN uses such verbage. That should tell you something.

EDIT: on second read, they are trying to loosen restrictions on water trade, which is good. But I still assert that to call it a mandatory "international right" is meaningless.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    UN rejects water as human right
    Canada criticized for supporting status quo

Mike De Souza, Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008
    while clearly water is a human right, and thus should be allocated equally... it mentions at the end about shipping H20 to the states. There has been tons of press in the past few years about how, basically, the US is going to screw Canadians over b/c they're not managing their water resources properly, and, through economic methods, literally drain Canada of their water.

(I didn't read the article.)

I think Canada should definitely be sharing our water, but I also think people need to recognize that water management needs to be a part of this. North Dakota was (and is still) polluting the Red River due to the cost it would take to be environmentally friendly about it, (which runs into Manitoba) for a long time and messing up Manitoba's water resources (land of 100 000 lakes, btw), for example... with regards to sharing water with teh US, there's reasons why it's getting held back. It's being bullied out of Canada and often efforts are not being made to hold up their end of the bargain.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    while clearly water is a human right, and thus should be allocated equally... it mentions at the end about shipping H20 to the states. There has been tons of press in the past few years about how, basically, the US is going to screw Canadians over b/c they're not managing their water resources properly, and, through economic methods, literally drain Canada of their water.

(I didn't read the article.)

I think Canada should definitely be sharing our water, but I also think people need to recognize that water management needs to be a part of this. North Dakota was (and is still) polluting the Red River due to the cost it would take to be environmentally friendly about it, (which runs into Manitoba) for a long time and messing up Manitoba's water resources (land of 100 000 lakes, btw), for example... with regards to sharing water with teh US, there's reasons why it's getting held back. It's being bullied out of Canada and often efforts are not being made to hold up their end of the bargain.
    Ah, don't worry, the US dollar is collapsing so that Canadian water will be too expensive anyway (or, if essential, will make Canada rich).

MBTI
    INFP

Human rights? Ha!
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INXP

Now.. if North America was lobbying for oil to be a basic human right, and there must be no limiting access.. that would amuse me.