User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yeh, well, being a property owner with a well, I have to disagree. Our neighbor's well went dry and she doesn't like us watering our rose bushes so takes the stand she's entitled to ours... mm,hmm. She can keep paying for water to be hauled to her. We paid for the land with all mineral and others contents... good luck trying to claim it which the local water company is trying to do... in a pig's eye. I am currently looking out the window at a pipeline being put across our property to meet the "rights" of others... it ain't happenin with our water.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    The OP makes this sound really bad, but when you realize that with rights come regulations and inefficient beaurocracies, you realize that it's also very wise. The free market can better distribute goods and services than any government agency ever could - and DEFINITELY better than the UN could. Imposing laws, quotas or regulations on water would make the situation WORSE, not better, because the free market is a better distributor than governments are.
    Yeah, after all, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before water starts getting marketed to starving villagers with no money, right?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Is it access to clean drinking water or access to water regardless of if it's drinkable or not? If worse comes to worse someone could collect rain water because that falls from the sky. It may not be drinkable because of pollution but it's still free.

But if this is a matter of having irrigation and sewage systems bringing drinkable water to people, I don't know if that is a human right. It's nice for everyone to have drinkable water, but...It's like we don't want people to starve and be hungry, but it happens because well it does.
    If we don't have a basic human right to clean drinking water for hydration purposes, then it seems that corporations could gain control over water, charge whatever prices they wanted, do whatever they wanted to make ground water and other sources of free water undrinkable and we have no say about it at all.

It does not always rain.

MBTI
    INXP

International agreements to enforce a requirement that governments should provide (at an acceptable cost level) the fundamental requirements of staying alive sounds like good sense. Water is pretty much first on the list, after oxygen.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Yeah, after all, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before water starts getting marketed to starving villagers with no money, right?
    Right, because the marketing enterprise and free market distribution are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    International agreements to enforce a requirement that governments should provide (at an acceptable cost level) the fundamental requirements of staying alive sounds like good sense. Water is pretty much first on the list, after oxygen.
    Ironically, you hit the nail on the head. It's good sense, but would end up with a black market water economy in order to fulfill irrational and arbitrary standards of water consumption. Could you imagine trying to regulate Oxygen consumption? Water is just almost as bad.

This kind of thing is best kept to individual governments.

MBTI
    INXP

Ironically, you hit the nail on the head. It's good sense, but would end up with a black market water economy in order to fulfill irrational and arbitrary standards of water consumption.

This kind of thing is best kept to individual governments.
    Where's the irony?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Where's the irony?
    The irony is that dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous substance and should be controlled.

... theoretically.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Because you provide ammunition for an economic liberal detractor such as myself. Governments should look after thier populations, but the proper mechanism to provide water is still free market economics, which are not ENFORCED by governments. The invisible hand can jack you off and bring you water at the same time, my friends.

MBTI
    INXP

Because you provide ammunition for an economic liberal detractor such as myself. Governments should look after thier populations, but the proper mechanism to provide water is still free market economics, which are not ENFORCED by governments. The invisible hand can jack you off and bring you water at the same time, my friends.
    Well, let me know when we are using the special definition of irony, next time.

heart on fire

There is no true free market anywhere.