Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
Yeah, but aren't you quoting a source to justify your opinions?

He's not turning in a paper as an original work, claiming that he wrote it.
There's a difference between quoting a source and outright copying and pasting; one is acceptable where you allow different sources to help you form an opinion (and you give credit where it's due) and the other is a near verbatim regurgitation; can you honestly read the blog post (even down to the "points" system, and the "one point." "first amendment" comments etc?) and not think "hmm, this is beyond eerily similar"?

It doesn't matter whether he claims "I wrote this" - by stating it without giving credit, he is automatically assuming responsibility for the idea(s) - and if you try that anywhere in the academic world you'll be drummed out so fast it'll make your head spin. I know, life isn't academia, but that sort of thing really tees me off.

Instead of saying, "Gee, I was wrong about that", or "I learned something new", or "Your right, it's not really the basis of our law", you attacked his source.

It doesn't matter, apparently, that the content of his source completely debunks your opinion.
Well, your response isn't hostile, so we can discuss it if you would like - my post was already quite lengthy, and it really is a topic that deserves it's own thread. More to the point, it was an idea that struck me similarly to the theory that we never went to the moon; but then I've got more experience with American law than most. Since you ask and I think you're genuinely asking, I'm happy to answer it here instead. I'll use a brief argument;

(1) Laws are based off of the values of the people within a society.
(2) Those who emigrated to America were often of religious sects that were
persecuted by the Church of England; Quakers, Puritans, etc. - not all but a majority. They formed the backbone of American society, and as such the (3) values of the majority were the foundation of many (not all, but many) of the laws on the books.
(4) America is a postmodern nation, and those laws are no longer enforced; but for example, once upon a time Adultery and fornication were both illegal. In some states they still are;
They had a voice in the laws that were passed. If you go look at the books, though many of the laws that WERE based clearly out of the judeo-christian ethic have been removed or are no longer enforced, they WERE there. For example; laws concerning fornication and adultery.

I don't feel like digging through research for an internet debate, but if you do a little digging on your own you'll find all sorts of laws that we no longer use that had biblical basis.

Usury laws, for example; these were laws that limited the % interest rate you could charge as a money lender - because there were biblical laws concerning that. We repealed them, and now you can pay up to 20% or more interest.
I could argue it all point by point, and amendment by amendment, but I'd really rather not. If you are interested in it, try looking into it on your own - I say that in the most "give it a try!" way possible - I happen to love research and books, and I could probably recommend a few if you were interested. However, as I've formed my opinions and am a "biased" source, you'll probably want to do the poking around yourself. Just avoid obviously biased books like "Why America is still a Christian Nation" or "NOT under God, what God has nothing to do with America"
both book types are unreliable xD

America is a very covetous nation. We are full of conspicuous consumption and "keeping up with the neighbors". It is probably our main cultural value. We consume things we don't need in order to impress others or distinguish ourselves.

Our wars are about power and wealth and breeding rights. The same is true of Sharia law.
Yeaaa.. but the question isn't whether America is composed of selfish humans. Human rights and civil liberties are arguably better here than anywhere in the world. In contrast, human rights and civil liberties are terrible in just about every muslim society, particularly the ones that try to live under Sharia law.

I'm not sure why Christianity was placed on trial, and while I could rebut Critical hit's post, it's not worth it, and would derail the thread further.

Lukewarm Christians receive no penalty in this life; and the example Christ set does not involve killing them or non-believers.

Islam has caused violence from it's inception, and is still causing violence to this day. Mohammed commanded the death and destruction of infidels, did so with his own hands, and commanded his followers to continue the war to spread Islam. Muslims who don't want to do so are no better than infidels, and are to be done away with as well, or treated like second class citizens under the laws of dhimmitude. Sharia Law law, which Muslim communities in Britain are VOLUNTARILY enacting, is bad news.