User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: Buying Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    The problem with your argument, Victor, is that slaves were forced into slavery. If what we are debating against is forced prostitution, that's sex slavery, and the pimps are the ones who should be punished for that. If, however, we are debating the merits of a legal, regulated, legitimate system of prostitution, which people may enter of their own free will, and may leave it with their own free will, then the comparison to slavery is faulty.
    The sad fact is that most sex workers are addicted to drugs and/or are mentally ill.

The drugs are necessary to avoid the emotional pain of sex work. And then the sex work is necessary to buy the drugs.

So most sex workers are caught in a trap from which they can't escape.

And some men take advantage of these vulnerable women.

Men have power over sex workers, and power is the greatest aphrodisiac.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The sad fact is that most sex workers are addicted to drugs and/or are mentally ill.

The drugs are necessary to avoid the emotional pain of sex work. And then the sex work is necessary to buy the drugs.

So most sex workers are caught in a trap from which they can't escape.

And some men take advantage of these vulnerable women.

Men have power over sex workers, and power is the greatest aphrodisiac.
    Then, the problem here is drug addiction, not prostitution. I realize your argument here, that many of these women can't escape the life that they've found themselves in, but their problems come from other factors as well. Criminalizing the only way they can make money (by criminalizing those who want to pay for their services, you are essentially criminalizing the work itself), and making it more difficult for them to do so will not solve any of their problems.

Your basic premise here is that no prostitutes want to be prostitutes. The emotional pain is a cumulative effect of the dangers of sex work, coupled with the public stigma attached to prostitution and their own personal traumas that have likely led them into that line of work. However, if these factors were reduced, or eliminated, sex work alone would not carry such a heavy emotional toll as it does now. Treating the sex trade like a criminal industry will only further the problems associated with such work. Again, like I said before, unregulated pimping should be illegal; regulated, safe prostitution should not be.

Then, the problem here is drug addiction, not prostitution. I realize your argument here, that many of these women can't escape the life that they've found themselves in, but their problems come from other factors as well. Criminalizing the only way they can make money (by criminalizing those who want to pay for their services, you are essentially criminalizing the work itself), and making it more difficult for them to do so will not solve any of their problems.

Your basic premise here is that no prostitutes want to be prostitutes. The emotional pain is a cumulative effect of the dangers of sex work, coupled with the public stigma attached to prostitution and their own personal traumas that have likely led them into that line of work. However, if these factors were reduced, or eliminated, sex work alone would not carry such a heavy emotional toll as it does now. Treating the sex trade like a criminal industry will only further the problems associated with such work. Again, like I said before, unregulated pimping should be illegal; regulated, safe prostitution should not be.
    Sure, and first we need a generous welfare system to help vulnerable women.

And we should never punish anyone for being vulnerable. However we should punish those who take advantage of the vulnerable.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

sex work alone would not carry such a heavy emotional toll as it does now.
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Some women enjoy fucking various people, or at least don't mind it. Those same women may enjoy "easy" money too. Is that hard to believe?

However, as it stands now, that type of business is illegal, which means that women engaged in that business are exposed to various harms that they otherwise wouldn't if that behavior was legal and regulated.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    intp

So let's pretend female prostitution is wrong because it encourages 'paternalism' (as assertion which i personally disagree with, and which assumes to be somewhat self contradictory since prohibiting someone from doing it because it's bad for them is about as paternalistic as it gets), and in order to discourage it females should be prohibited from practicing prostitution. If this is the line of reasoning, then what should the legal status of male prostitution be and why?

One Year in Jail

Sex work causes emotional pain that is usually ameliorated with expensive illegal drugs.

And then to pay for the expensive, illegal drugs, sex work is necessary.

So it is simply a trap.

And the patriarchs are turned on by their power over trapped women, just as the owners were turned on by their power over female slaves.

In fact the patriarchs are turned on by the emotional pain they can inflict on the sex workers.

Of course the patriarchs rationalise this to avoid any sense of guilt, as we see so clearly on this thread.

This is why it is important to put them in jail, so they will realise they have done something wrong to a vulnerable human being.

As I write, Sweden is about to increase the sentence for buying sex to one year in jail.

Ginkgo

Read some books. Or. Yeah not depending.

MBTI
    ENTP

It certainly wouldn't be as dangerous, stigmatized, or difficult to escape from if we did our part to reduce the factors that make it so.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Some women enjoy fucking various people, or at least don't mind it. Those same women may enjoy "easy" money too. Is that hard to believe?
    I'm not necessarily calling for the criminalization of the trade.

And because you choose to do something doesn't mean that you don't sustain damage from it, if it is an inherently damaging thing to do.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness