User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Buying Sex

The Whistleblower

If you go and see, "The Whistleblower", a movie out now, we may win your hearts and minds.

Just click on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3anBiHwmI

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Government's role is not to dangle juicy carrots in front of citizens, then punish them when they reach for them. That is an underhanded way to 'regulate' an industry. I think the equation will attempt to balance itself in some way that will ultimately do a greater disservice to all involved, and ultimately, society.

Now, Victor Darling, just curious, do you live with your mum?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think it is important to repeat that prostitution, called sex work, is legal here and will remain legal, however we are thinking about making the buying of sex an offence.

I emphasise that sex work remains legal. We are not going after the sex workers, we are thinking of going after those who buy sex.
    I'm not sure what that answer has to do with my question.

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    It's Victor. That's what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Government's role is not to dangle juicy carrots in front of citizens, then punish them when they reach for them. That is an underhanded way to 'regulate' an industry. I think the equation will attempt to balance itself in some way that will ultimately do a greater disservice to all involved, and ultimately, society.

Now, Victor Darling, just curious, do you live with your mum?
    Its not about regulation, its actually about decriminalising people who are really likely to be victims in the whole transaction.

Therefore the authorities arent interested in arresting and punishing the prostitutes but the pimps and kerb crawlers, the people buying it.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not about regulation, its actually about decriminalising people who are really likely to be victims in the whole transaction.

Therefore the authorities arent interested in arresting and punishing the prostitutes but the pimps and kerb crawlers, the people buying it.
    But if government is legalizing the prostitute side, the undeniable implication is that you can purchase it. But then they say you can't. And if buying it were legal, the customers would not be 'kerb crawlers', but legitimate horny citizens.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    Its Victor's style of discussion, he works more than most of the posters on the forum by attributing beliefs or posts to other posters and then responding to his attributions rather than what they've actually said or their true or possible intent. He's not the only one by a long mark, some of the threads to do with libertarianism or gay marriage show the same style, quite markedly so, I dont know it could be something which is inevitable where ideas and affects or emotions are all closely associated.

There's a mistake, I think, in describing it as legalised, its not really legal, its decriminalised, in that they wont be prosecuting anyone who is a prostitute but they will prosecute their clients.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    But if government is legalizing the prostitute side, the undeniable implication is that you can purchase it. But then they say you can't. And if buying it were legal, the customers would not be 'kerb crawlers', but legitimate horny citizens.
    That's right, which is why I think its important to distinguish between legalisation and decriminalisation, if it where permissable to supply and consumer it then it would be legal but its not so its supply has merely been decriminalised to protect the vulnerable and possibly otherwise peaceable and lawful individuals engaged in, or possibly even trapped in, the trade.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

There's a mistake, I think, in describing it as legalised, its not really legal, its decriminalised, in that they wont be prosecuting anyone who is a prostitute but they will prosecute their clients.
    Which is ethically wrong for a government to do. Because there is no other purpose for prostitutes than to sell their body. If the direct purchase of that body results in prosecution, then that is a round about way to try to control an industry.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm afraid that outlawing buying sex will not go very far in making the genders equal, if that's what you're hoping the outcome will be.