User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Buying Sex

MBTI
    intp

I think it's important to draw a distinction betweens that are inherently harmful, and things that are not. Things like slavery, physical abuse, and child molestation are harmful because these acts necessarily deprive an individual of freedom or cause physical or emotional damage. Prostitution, on the other hand, does not cause harm unless other factors are in play. If it were legalized, destigmatized, and regulated, it would be no more harmful than exotic dancing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I like Nicodemus very much and would appreciate it if you would treat him respectfully.

MBTI
    ENTP

I for one oppose legalizing prostitution because if hookers unionized the prices would skyrocket.
    +10% Crit Chance

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh dear God bless you Victor. I'll think of you every time I read Wind in the Willows.

I'll friend you on facebook.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Eventhough I do believe in freedom to take the choices you want to take, I also recognize the need for an ordered community. And therefore I agree with @Victor on this.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    Eventhough I do believe in freedom to take the choices you want to take, I also recognize the need for an ordered community. And therefore I agree with @Victor on this.
    How do you define an 'ordered community,' and how does prostitution jeopardize that?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I'm not sure if I understood the question, but I think my logic is good. Assuming both parties wanna make the deal, this is more a moral issue than anything, and politics shouldn't interfere on moral matters.
    What makes you think politics is somehow separate from "moral issues?"

@Victor brought up the point that it increases freedom to forbid the trade of "resources" that are human, for instance. Surely you don't mind that kind of regulation?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    What makes you think politics is somehow separate from "moral issues?"
    It is not. Thing is, strictly moral issues aren't supposed to be criminalized. That's how criminal law works. If both involved are capable of consenting, and both consent, it is a harmless event.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Victor brought up the point that it increases freedom to forbid the trade of "resources" that are human, for instance. Surely you don't mind that kind of regulation?
    In the specific case where both people consent on what they are doing, calling it freedom is, to say the least, hypocrisy. Seriously, a lot of women really think the money is worth doing it. Of course, once human trafficking and things like that come into play, things get messy.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Of course, once human trafficking and things like that come into play, things get messy.
    Exactly.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, this is true. And Australian women, including aboriginal women, were voting in Australia in the 1890s.
    Some women were voting in Australia in the 1890s. White women in the colonies of South Australia and Western Australia were allowed to vote beginning in 1895 and 1899, respectively. (Women were not allowed to stand for parliament in Western Australia until 1920.)

By contrast the voting rights of white men, let alone women, were not universal in Tasmania until 1896.

Aboriginal voting qualifications varied from state to state and were not universal.

However it was at Federation in 1901 that women gained their emancipation across a whole Continent.
    White women's suffrage was granted at the federal level in 1902 with the passing of the Commonwealth Franchise Act. The first election in 1901 was based on the laws of the pre-existing colonies, so only white women in South Australia and Western Australia were allowed to vote.

Voting rights for white women continued to vary across the country, state-by-state, until 1923 when Victoria finally granted women the right to stand for parliament.

Aboriginal Australian voting rights were specifically excluded in the Commonwealth Franchise Act, as were the voting rights of all other non-Whites. People of Indian descent were allowed to vote following court action by an Indian migrant in 1924. Piecemeal amendments allowed certain aborigines to vote (generally only men, such as the amendments in the 1940s that allowed aboriginal war veterans to vote), and Australia's racist voting policies were not eliminated entirely until the 1960s.

Speaking of the continent, women in the Territory of Papua and New Guinea were not allowed to vote until 1964.

And by-the-way, New Zealand become part of the Australian Constitution in 1901, and remains part of our Constitution today.
    That the Australian constitution contains a proviso allowing New Zealand to join the Commonwealth does not mean that Australia can claim any credit for the advances of human rights by its more progressive neighbour.