I haven't done a lot of study into it, but recently I've watched a ton of documentaries on conquest, dictators and barbarians and it left me thinking "damn, when a powerful government or military leader wants to destroy a city, they're defenseless". apart from the numerous instances of raids and pillaging, it sorta scared me how willing powerful government officials could easily discard their own and enact a genocide or destruction of a city with the snap of their fingers. I'm not so much accusing government of being the route of all evil as I am becoming increasingly skeptical the more I look at history.
- do you think government officials today are different?
- do you feel safe where you live?
- do you trust your government?
- do you notice any parallels between today's society and oppressive or violent tactics utilized by past leaders?
- how much authority do you think the government should have?
- what constitutes REAL authority as opposed to oppression or control by whichever group happens to have the most power at the time