User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

I think it's tacky, but I'm otherwise pretty indifferent.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Wow. England has gone down the tubes. It used to seem so civilized, especially from the colonial view.

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't think it's healthy to expose young kids to those kinds of physical poundings at such an early age. It can't be good for their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I don't think it's healthy to expose young kids to those kinds of physical poundings at such an early age. It can't be good for their bodies.
    But they arent being exposed to physical poundings, there's no punching, kicking or elbow or other strikes permitted.

Its wrestling, in fact change the setting and its highschool wrestling of the sort which is commonplace in the US in college, it is obviously inspired by Mixed Martial Arts and the commentators on the news broadcasts about it were from a gym much like the one featured in Never Back Down, which did not permit its members to fight outside the ring or behave without thought for discipline.

While it can appear quite surprising and even jarring its being spun that way to make headlines, I'm a little uneasy about it but then I find the adult equivalent and some of the MMA scene unnerving too. Too often combat sports attract people from hard hearted backgrounds or they generate that sort of culture, one in which emotional intelligence isnt always the order of the day but brute strength, violence and power stand in instead. Although I'm not an opponent of combat sports per se by any stretch of the imagination. I even think that MMA is preferable to boxing.

When I was at school I was the victim of bullying, I remember one teacher who wasnt a great example of anything to his pupils, calling me into his class room, in front of his entire class and issuing a challenge to me to fight one of his pupils in a boxing ring because he had heard that I had been fighting with one of them in the playground. The reality was that I had not, they were picking on me and it had been noticed. When he had to address it with the young person they had refused to promise they wouldnt harrass or hit me again. He then decided there was obviously a grievance and that we should fight the bit out under proper supervision. Even at that time I felt there was something badly wrong about this. Never mind simple facts of the matter including that the other pupil was a member of a local boxing club and a big fan of fighting, whereas I was not. I was scared for some time at that time and almost felt like this teacher another teacher, my teacher, and some of the bullies in the school were almost colluding.

Now that is an example of something which is much worse that this and much, much less likely to be reported or even easily addressed by adults once they are properly clued into something as inappropriate as this. Really terrible violence between children or adolescents, for money, isnt unknown either, its part of a lot of urban traveller or gang cultures that I've known too. Again, unlikely to be reportable or anything like that.

Noblesse Oblige

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Wow. England has gone down the tubes. It used to seem so civilized, especially from the colonial view.
    Yeah, we loved the British Empire. We hated the Japanese Empire. And we are ambivalent about the American Empire.

And oddly enough Americans deny they have an empire, while they are the most powerful empire the world has ever seen.

But sadly, even though the Americans are a hyper power, they are not loved. And tragically, they want to be loved as well as powerful.

And they are not loved for a simple reason - Ameicans lack noblesse oblige.

And there seems to be no quick fix for this, for this lack of quality seems to be part of their national character.

And without noblesse oblige the world is a poorer place.

Standard tabloid journalism fare. I couldn't care less. Nebbykoo's naivety about England is probably more interesting than some idiots pretending they're running a junior UFC.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I'm feelin' good about it. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yeah, we loved the British Empire. We hated the Japanese Empire. And we are ambivalent about the American Empire.

And oddly enough Americans deny they have an empire, while they are the most powerful empire the world has ever seen.

But sadly, even though the Americans are a hyper power, they are not loved. And tragically, they want to be loved as well as powerful.

And they are not loved for a simple reason - Ameicans lack noblesse oblige.

And there seems to be no quick fix for this, for this lack of quality seems to be part of their national character.

And without noblesse oblige the world is a poorer place.
    Oh the English were so noble. Yet the sun did set, didn't it.
    The sun always sets on empire.
    And the 'obligation' to noble behavior is something separate from that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Looks pretty much like local elementary school wrestling with a different rule set. Not worried. Although I can't remember if join locks are allowed or not, excessive joint manipulation is bad for the growing body.