User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do you think the world is getting better?

Well damn.

If I've not gone down hill since then....

Be Concerned - TØP Array themightyfetus's Avatar

A hundred years ago, women couldn't even vote. Now we have two running for president. Slavery and segregation have ended. Same-sex marriage is finally legal. Additionally, think of the life-saving vaccines that have been invented, virtually eradicating diseases that used to kill so many. We have spent people to space. We have vast stores of information that we can access right at our fingertips. We no longer have to wait days for a letter in the mail from a loved one when we have texting, email, social media, Skype, and FaceTime. Individuals with mental illnesses now have various options for treatment, instead of being exorcised or locked up in inhumane asylums. We have developed effective methods of birth control. And we've gained a lot of things we use for personal convenience--computers, air conditioning, television, lightbulbs, etc.

In the billions of years this earth has been in existence, and in the millions since our early human ancestors evolved, one century is just a microscopic blip in the grand scheme of things--and look how much we've accomplished. Personally, I think that's pretty fucking awesome.

The advancements I've mentioned are focused on the USA and other Western nations, but I believe we can spread these good things all the way around the world, and I believe we can continue to improve the First World as well. There's so much messed up; I'm not denying that or undermining the many issues we have today. And I'm not trying to get into a hyper-patriotic, self-absorbed, "it's all about America" mindset. I'm just reminding you guys how far we've come. If we can do all that, surely we can do more.

As an aside, I have to mention something to older folks--please have faith in youth and Millennials. Don't say that the world is going to go to shit because of us. Believe me, we are our own generation of revolutionaries, visionaries, activists, politicians, scientists, artists, etc. It's easy to throw all of us under the bus because of the actions of a few, but try to look at the big picture and see all of us. I want you to believe in me. Please, please dare to believe.

Humanity may be broken, but it's so beautiful at its core.
    I don't mean to pry, but why would you even make the eyes?

Likes Dyslexxie, gromit liked this post

If I had the opportunity to choose any time period to live in, I would always chose the current one every time because I don't think the world has ever been better. Do we still have the same old human issues? Fuck yeah, just flip on the news. But regardless of how dark the outlook, we're living longer, our quality of life has improved drastically, we have access to more information than ever, crime rate has been going down significantly, advances in human rights are made every day, and let's not forget the most important thing in the modern world: Kim Kardashian has released a selfie book.
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

4w3 so/sx
    IEI Ni

World is not getting better or worse. World just is and evolves according to what is natural to its existence along with people and nature. People change because circumstances change, action only provokes reaction. World simply is and will be...
    4w3-5w4-9w8 so/sx
    IEI-Ni Beta quadra