User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I find it hard to believe that in the age where people have all but given up on believing in such a thing as individual political sovereignty that they still cling hard and fast to things like consumer sovereignty.
    so true.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I find it hard to believe that in the age where people have all but given up on believing in such a thing as individual political sovereignty that they still cling hard and fast to things like consumer sovereignty.
    I actually agree with you on this one. people's lack of political priorities never cease to amaze me
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Depends on how one defines "better" and "worse". By my definition worse as a whole but there are areas of improvement.
    I suspect it will have to get much worse before it gets much better.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Some things are getting better, some things are getting worse.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

We are now fighting fewer wars than in the past. And as all war is evil, but sometimes the lesser of two evils, the world is certainly a better place.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I don't think people have given up. People do sometimes get a bit jaded/fed up that in a practical sense even though they live in a democracy, they actually have very little individual political sovereignty. Our consumer freedoms are currently greater than our political freedoms. (If you wish to demarcate them). The problem is that politics is undertaken on ever larger scales and individuals and communities have had less power to determine their own way of life.

Economics always plays a large part in politics.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I don't think people have given up. People do sometimes get a bit jaded/fed up that in a practical sense even though they live in a democracy, they actually have very little individual political sovereignty. Our consumer freedoms are currently greater than our political freedoms. (If you wish to demarcate them). The problem is that politics is undertaken on ever larger scales and individuals and communities have had less power to determine their own way of life.

Agreed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post

I did not mean in the sense that people believe they are jaded/fed up, I meant belief in the effaciousness of political sovereignty.

If you ask people if they believe in such a thing as political sovereignty, they may not know what it is, or care and will probably tell you the whole thing is a con or phony in anycase BUT if you tell them that the decisions they make buying in the marketplace they will believe that this is consequential, they do have power or they will have been told that they do, perhaps that they have more power as a consumer than as a political actor or analogies about consumer behaviour will be used when describing voting behaviour.

However, if anything consumer sovereignty is a greater myth than political sovereignty, there is not equal "voting" as wealth constitutes different numbers of votes, most of the conclusions of supply side economics and supply creating its own demand are premised not on consumer sovereignty but the opposite, the ease with which consumers could be manipulated by supply and business firms.

I'm not strictly speaking about activism but beliefs. Economics and politics are inextricably linked, although I would suggest that economics is sovereign, most of the time over politics, particularly in the developed, modern(ist) world and with its expectations.

Ginkgo

Same shirt different day.

Yes.