123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Troy Davis Execution

I just started following this today. Something is very bothersome about this case and safety net for state sponsored executions in some states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Davis_case
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've been following this for a couple of years now. I think they are going to carry it out this time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

"The evidentiary hearing was held in June 2010, during which affidavits from several prosecution witnesses from the trial changing or recanting their previous testimony were presented; some affiants asserted they had been coerced by police." I find this point troubling. Also the The U.S. Supreme Court's standard: whether new evidence "that could not have been obtained at the time of trial clearly establishes [Davis'] innocence" seems overly stringent standard for a death penalty sentence review. Also I'm not surprised with the Pope or Jimmy Carter being agaisnt a particular execution but Bob Barr and former FBI Director and judge William S. Sessions opposition to the execution raises some serious red flags.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Im not against the death penalty being allowed thoughout the states per se. Its just that the oversight always seems to be passed on to someone else. What is wierd with Georgia is that even the govener of that state doesn't have the right to stay stay/pardon the execution (rather its vested Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles via their state constitution)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Davis' chance to be spared execution suffered a blow this afternoon as first Superior Court Judge Thomas Wilson declined to issue a stay and then the Georgia Supreme Court unanimously rejected Davis' final bid. Davis' lawyers will now appeal to the the U.S. Supreme Court, his last chance for relief. Troy Davis' attorneys have filed a request for a stay of execution with the U.S. Supreme Court. It is his last chance to avoid execution which will otherwise occure in about 10 minutes from now. Georgia prison officials have blocked Davis from taking a polygraph test before his scheduled execution.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

U.S. Supreme Court temporarily delay execution while they consider appeal.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/445922...t-weighs-plea/

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    U.S. Supreme Court temporarily delay execution while they consider appeal.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/445922...t-weighs-plea/

Good to hear.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Update: The Supreme Court has denied Davis' motion for a stay of execution.

Damn.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, the execution officially been carried out. I read several articles on this recently, and the victim's family was really eager for Davis to die in spite of how dubious everything seems. If I was in that family, I don't think I could want this unless I knew for certain it was the right guy (even then, I may not want it, but I'd have to be in that situation to know)

I can't say for certain how innocent or guilty the man was, but I will say if the use of the death penalty kills one innocent man it isn't worth 10,000 dead guilty ones to me, especially considering those guilty ones aren't even a danger to society once they're in prison anyways.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Im not against the death penalty being allowed thoughout the states per se. Its just that the oversight always seems to be passed on to someone else.
    It doesn't matter no one gets blamed specifically for oversight, but that it will always exist. The courtroom, the jury, the judge, it's all a human affair. And humans will always make mistakes. The criminals who are guilty are sent to prison and are no longer a threat to anyone else. Henry Lee Lucas died naturally in prison (actually, he was one of America's worst serial killers ever and the only person whose sentence George W. Bush, while Texas Governor, commuted to life in prison even while executing mentally handicapped prisoners, cause that guy's a dick) killed all of zero people after being sent to prison. Is killing someone who's no longer a threat worth risking killing others who are totally innocent ever? I don't think so. Especially considered death penalty is more expensive to the state than life in prison is anyways. The death penalty saves nobody, and only risks more innocents dying. Why would one support that? Is vengeance against monsters who are already effectively castrated worth not only risking accidentally killing the innocent, but also an additional financial cost?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?