User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Whoa whoa WHOA. You people seriously think he was innocent?
    Just read the wikipedia article that was already linked.. The entire chain of events that night says nothing to promote his innocence. This was not a man who spent his evening praying in church or staying at home with family. Troy Davis shot someone in the face for yelling obscenities while leaving a party (it's not alleged, by the way, he was convicted for that and the conviction held) and then that same weapon he used to SHOOT SOMEONE IN THE FACE earlier that night was then used to kill an ex-army police officer who tried to stop Davis from beating the shit out of a homeless person. The officer was shot in the heart, and then the face.. and McPhail never even drew his weapon.

Why is there so much sympathy for someone who became a murderer and a cop killer on the same night?

Death Penalty should be the cheapest thing on earth. A .22 rimfire round costs all of 10 cents, and is more humane than lethal injection. The statistics for it being "expensive" are because we give prisoners YEARS in the appeals process and allow every technicality in the book to overturn sentences and convictions.

And no, it's not about revenge. It's about Justice. Troy Davis killed a man (an honourable man, by all accounts, a family man) because McPhail had the audacity to attempt to carry out his duty.

Justice, not "feelings" decide what must be done.

Consider; your feelings and values are saying "he should have been allowed to live" - the family's feelings and values say "vengeance."

Justice is represented by a blind woman holding a scale for a reason. Troy Davis made his choices, and he tipped the scale. Justice, not the family, and not personal desires, dictates that the scale be balanced. A life for a life.
    You are not being objective. You are carried on by your feelings.
    I read the Wikipedia article carefully, and found no evidence for his guilt. None whatever.

1. No evidence.
    2. He voluntarily surrendered to the police.
    3. He consequently denied his guilt.
    4. The witnesses were coerced by the police.

Looks like a police frame up to me. Not unheard of in that state.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Except that I offered evidence to the contrary, as have many others-evidence that you apparently dismiss either arbitrarily (such as the qualitative differences between the above prisoners actions) or on grounds (i.e. preconceived notions) that are impossible to disprove-namely that black people in Savannah are racist against themselves to such an extent that all or most of them prosecuted/convicted/rejected appeals of Troy Davis because he was black.
    What evidence did you offer? nothing, I never said specifically that black people were racist against themselves in this case. Even if this man like other men are proven guilty for murder it doesn't necessarily mean that they deserve the death penalty. Racism is apparent in the united states, if you read statistics you would know. This case may or may not have been linked to racism of any form but you can't disprove that entirely, to make such assumptions is absurd.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Race is going to have an impact, especially when its one of the obvious ethnic and class markers, although I think its daft to suggest that its deciding executions or that there's a by design or by default white supremacy in operation, in fact I think that thinking is dangerous and can lead to a lot of "politicised" crime against white people who've never had a deliberate racist opinion in their lives.

I like diversity but I sure as hell wouldnt deny that it often comes with accompanied by difficulty, although that's alright, its either worth the hassel or its not and I think it is.
    Lark. Hitler.
    Dearline topics:
    Politics, History and Current events.
    Why?

Real life is a threat.
    Cure:
    Denial.
    Ignorance is bliss.

"Acquisition of knowledge is a political crime against the white race."

There exists multiple studies of statistics about prevalent racism in the judicial system in the Old South.
    A single study of statistics may serve an interest.
    Multiple studies do not.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Lark. Hitler.
    Dearline topics:
    Politics, History and Current events.
    Why?

Real life is a threat.
    Cure:
    Denial.
    Ignorance is bliss.

"Acquisition of knowledge is a political crime against the white race."

There exists multiple studies of statistics about prevalent racism in the judicial system in the Old South.
    A single study of statistics may serve an interest.
    Multiple studies do not.
    In that confused mess did you just refer to me as Hitler?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    What evidence did you offer? nothing, I never said specifically that black people were racist against themselves in this case. Even if this man like other men are proven guilty for murder it doesn't necessarily mean that they deserve the death penalty. Racism is apparent in the united states, if you read statistics you would know. This case may or may not have been linked to racism of any form but you can't disprove that entirely, to make such assumptions is absurd.
    Fine, then change my colloquial 'disproven' to 'demonstrated not to be the case with falsifiable claims.' To simply assume racism as a major causal factor in unpleasant statistical findings is just as absurd, and to make implicit accusations of racism on grounds that cannot be disproven is an exercise in demonization.

The evidence I offered was that there were qualitative differences between the actions of the two men that would explain the different results; if you can show me a white cop-killer in Georgia who did not plead guilty having his death sentence commuted, then that would be an indicator of racism being a major factor in this case.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In that confused mess did you just refer to me as Hitler?
    1. I said you and Hitler find an interest in politics, history and current events.
    2. I said statistics disagree with your proposition.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    1. I said you and Hitler find an interest in politics, history and current events.
    2. I said statistics disagree with your proposition.
    It was a confused mess.