User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    That's messed up, I have to say.
    Not so much; the man on the right pled guilty (which is regularly a mitigating factor in sentencing for obvious reasons) and did not kill a cop (cop-killers regularly recieve harsher sentences for equally obvious reasons).

There was no racist conspiracy, and whatever one's opinion of the death penalty, Troy Davis was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt-end of story.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    The chain of events that night also do not promote his guilt other than what the witnesses have stated of which 7/9 retracted their statements at a later period because of a feel of greater safety to the threats of complying to the initial standing.
    What threats are you talking about? They didn't retract when the event was still relatively strong in their memory, only years later (and weren't 5 of those retractions by friends of Davis?)-not very credible. And its 7 out of 34, witnesses, not 7 out of 9.

MBTI
    ENTP

[YOUTUBE="http://youtube.com/watch?v=wntitiiLotk"]Part 1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKSV9F_-VdU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Part 2[/YOUTUBE]

^Penn and Teller on the Death Penalty.
    +10% Crit Chance

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Not so much; the man on the right pled guilty (which is regularly a mitigating factor in sentencing for obvious reasons) and did not kill a cop (cop-killers regularly recieve harsher sentences for equally obvious reasons).

There was no racist conspiracy, and whatever one's opinion of the death penalty, Troy Davis was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt-end of story.
    There's always racism that exists even within the jurisdiction, and if you think black people are not racist against other black people that is a false assumption as well.

MBTI
    INTP

There's always racism that exists even within the jurisdiction, and if you think black people are not racist against other black people that is a false assumption as well.
    In other words, your assumption of a racist conspiracy is based on nothing more than your preconcieved notions.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Race is going to have an impact, especially when its one of the obvious ethnic and class markers, although I think its daft to suggest that its deciding executions or that there's a by design or by default white supremacy in operation, in fact I think that thinking is dangerous and can lead to a lot of "politicised" crime against white people who've never had a deliberate racist opinion in their lives.

I like diversity but I sure as hell wouldnt deny that it often comes with accompanied by difficulty, although that's alright, its either worth the hassel or its not and I think it is.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Okay, that's messed up.

I don't even like that white guy's face.

But as I mentioned earlier, I don't like death sentence at all unless it serves a logical purpose - sociopath, serial killer, terrorist, et al.
    I dont like it at all, I prefer revenge to the death penalty. My personal version of criminal justice has a lot more to do with the duelling days of demanding satisfaction though.

I'd put the fate of the guilty directly in the hands of the victims family, make it discretionary, victims or their kin could enter plees of mercy or commute sentences to life if they so choose and the execution is then a matter of personal conscience.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    In other words, your assumption of a racist conspiracy is based on nothing more than your preconcieved notions.
    Your notions that it wasn't racist is just as preconceived.

MBTI
    INTP

Your notions that it wasn't racist is just as preconceived.
    Except that I offered evidence to the contrary, as have many others-evidence that you apparently dismiss either arbitrarily (such as the qualitative differences between the above prisoners actions) or on grounds (i.e. preconceived notions) that are impossible to disprove-namely that black people in Savannah are racist against themselves to such an extent that all or most of them prosecuted/convicted/rejected appeals of Troy Davis because he was black.

MBTI
    INTP

To Marmie Dearest: if you have a problem with some aspect of my previous posts, then address it on the thread-though it beats me why you are so upset, most of what I posted seems implicit in your own posts on this matter.