MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Default Illegal Woman Chained to Bed During Birth

Here's the article.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this here, since I already know the trajectory the comments are going to take (the comments on the article are a good indicator), but I want to post this anyway for the purposes of general knowledge.

Please do discuss.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

And yet again, human beings, the most civilized creatures on the planet, still can't be humane towards others. In all honesty, chaining a preagnant woman woh is going into labor has got to be one of the most atrocious acts I've ever heard of.

Moral opinion aside, I think the reason that the police were capable of being that cruel is the same reason for why a majority of Americans show virtually no sympathy but rather hatred and malice towards illegal immigrants; they percieve illegal immigrants as a threat and categorize them as an 'enemy', as opposed to a freind. I mean most people (not all) typically divide people into freind or enemy, the former whom is treated with kindess and love, the latter whom is treated with contempt and cruelty. And since most Americans vehemently beleive in the power of the law to its greatest extent, as well as their own selfish desires, they see people whom immigrate illegally and take jobs as an enemy, and thus treat them as such. It's this sort of mentality that needs to be dealt with if we're as a species ever going to advance and grow better; showing universal love to all, regardless of how one wants to percieve them.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

When I read articles like this, I want to yak.

Not because of the "human rights violation", not because of the current ILLEGAL-immigrant controversy, but because of the sensationalism and hyperbole at play. It's a fucking guilt tactic, appealing to altruism in hopes of supressing some of the more rational angles. I could break this down sentence by sentence and show how the manipulation of verbage, combined with a distorted perception of "unjust" laws and processes in place is fully intended to leave the reader with a horrific image of poor, innocent Maria chained to a bed while giving birth, for something as small as being in a country she shouldn't be in. I'm just not going to waste my time, because you either already see it, or you don't. Most people have their minds set on these issues, and will ONLY embrace supporting ideas. My beef isn't with the topic at hand, it's with the disguistingly biased news that permeates this country... and the idiot masses too lazy to get all the facts, think for themselves, and THEN conclude. Biased writings like this are a dis-service to society and knowledge in general. I ask, why is it so hard to just report the facts? To allow people to come to their own conclusions? Rhetorical. If it's not interesting, it doesn't pay.

I'll add that my stance on the illegal immigration controversy is undecided, and I am NOT afraid of Pablo swooping in and taking my landscaping gig for $2.50 an hour. But what I'm seeing here is pretty one-sided. Which is why I'm slightly shocked at your inention of posting this particular article, @Orangey? From what I've seen in your other posts, you seem to have an outstanding ability at breaking shit down objectively. So I'm curious... what is your opinion?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    "human rights violation"
    It may well be a human rights violation.

ILLEGAL-immigrant controversy
    Why the emphasis? Are your colors showing?

It's a fucking guilt tactic, appealing to altruism in hopes of supressing some of the more rational angles.
    How dare they? Some of the world's worst atrocities have been carried out under the "rational" order of technocrats. As this is a moral, political, and legal issue, I think it's fair to say that rationality (as I assume you're conceiving it, which is to say some sort of practical/organizational rationality) is not the only impulse with which we must consult in our process of judgment.

a distorted perception of "unjust" laws and processes in place
    Again, they may very well be unjust.

is fully intended to leave the reader with a horrific image of poor, innocent Maria chained to a bed while giving birth, for something as small as being in a country she shouldn't be in.
    Are you suggesting that her crime warranted her punishment?

will ONLY embrace supporting ideas.
    Indeed...

My beef isn't with the topic at hand
    Are you positive?

it's with the disguistingly biased news that permeates this country...
    You think this is disgustingly bad news?

and the idiot masses too lazy to get all the facts, think for themselves, and THEN conclude. Biased writings like this are a dis-service to society and knowledge in general. I ask, why is it so hard to just report the facts? To allow people to come to their own conclusions? Rhetorical. If it's not interesting, it doesn't pay.
    1. Reporting "just the facts" is no guarantee of objectivity, and in fact is often merely a ruse to mask and pass off ideological messages.
    2. Even if it were, it's by no means certain that it would be more desirable or educational than persuasive pieces.
    3. People can come to their own conclusions whether a piece is "biased" or not. The problem only arises when certain ubiquitous ideologies are passed off as "fact" so often and with such dominating force that the message is no longer capable of being recognized as "biased" at all, and in fact starts to seem like a natural fact of life (i.e., when it's part of heinous propaganda campaigns deliberately designed to deceive and coerce, not merely to persuade with the use of basic pathos arguments.)

Moreover, the coverage of this particular story would seem to belie your suggestion that it was published for the sake of sensationalism. Do you see CNN, MSNBC, or Fox carrying this? Nope, just NPR, a few even smaller rags, and the Huffington Post.

Which is why I'm slightly shocked at your inention of posting this particular article, @Orangey?
    My intention, as I said in the OP, is to share this information with others and to hear and respond to their thoughts on the topic.

From what I've seen in your other posts, you seem to have an outstanding ability at breaking shit down objectively.
    You assume already that this is bullshit. Why? Enlighten us.

So I'm curious... what is your opinion?
    My opinion is that I abhor the illegitimate use of force on any human (legitimacy here being based on my own judgment of the warrant for the type of force being applied, both in humanistic and rational terms, and less so on the actual laws in place, as those are also often illegitimate by my own standards.) As it concerns this case, then, I'm convinced that this was indeed an illegitimate use of force.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's it.

Fuck the police.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When I read articles like this, I want to yak.

Not because of the "human rights violation", not because of the current ILLEGAL-immigrant controversy, but because of the sensationalism and hyperbole at play. It's a fucking guilt tactic, appealing to altruism in hopes of supressing some of the more rational angles. I could break this down sentence by sentence and show how the manipulation of verbage, combined with a distorted perception of "unjust" laws and processes in place is fully intended to leave the reader with a horrific image of poor, innocent Maria chained to a bed while giving birth, for something as small as being in a country she shouldn't be in. I'm just not going to waste my time, because you either already see it, or you don't. Most people have their minds set on these issues, and will ONLY embrace supporting ideas. My beef isn't with the topic at hand, it's with the disguistingly biased news that permeates this country... and the idiot masses too lazy to get all the facts, think for themselves, and THEN conclude. Biased writings like this are a dis-service to society and knowledge in general. I ask, why is it so hard to just report the facts? To allow people to come to their own conclusions? Rhetorical. If it's not interesting, it doesn't pay.

I'll add that my stance on the illegal immigration controversy is undecided, and I am NOT afraid of Pablo swooping in and taking my landscaping gig for $2.50 an hour. But what I'm seeing here is pretty one-sided. Which is why I'm slightly shocked at your inention of posting this particular article, @Orangey? From what I've seen in your other posts, you seem to have an outstanding ability at breaking shit down objectively. So I'm curious... what is your opinion?
    It's always nice to see the libertarians who claim to be all about freedom in staunch support of ...what was it? PABLO? ...being chained to the bed by the police?

This is why I continue to believe that it is actually MY chosen party that represents REAL freedom.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Just in case I wasn't clear, CHAINING ANY WOMAN (prisoner or not) to a bed during labor is...just violent abuse. This is separate from any particular opinion you have about illegal immigrants being deported.

Can we be humane, even with people that you may personally consider criminals?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think the chaining to a bed is an over the top thing to do to a woman in labor who has no violent history (what kind of threat could she possibly pose?!), but these women are criminals suffering the consequences of their decision to immigrate illegally. I just don't think those consequences should include unnecessary shackling or denying a breast pump. You can prosecute these women & hold them responsible for their illegal actions without such cruelty.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe