User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    When writing the OP, I came across definitions such as "proactive activism" and "reactive activism". The latter being oriented towards conservation in some way (not to be confused with being conservative in the American political sense).
    Proactive activism can be considered to be constructive, but I guess we need to demarcate between those who want revolutionary change and those who wish to improve something in an incremental manner (progressive change).
    However, each of those points has at its heart the idea that change is either inevitable or essentially desirable, why so?

Change can amount of entropy, decay, dereliction and degeneration, in fact it can be enough unmitigated change which results catastrophic upheavels or revolutions (and then counter-revolutions). Even where the change has begun or is being powered forward with the very best of intentions, unanticipated consequences are always part and parcel of the process because fans of the desired change are not going to be too self-critical or wary about the proposed change itself. Incremental and progressive change is never incremental and progressive change because those proposing the changes have serious doubts about how effacious or worthy their proposed changes are but because that change is being in some way resisted by those who still do.

I also would question why and with what reason change is always considered inevitable and desirable, the essential task of any society is the transmit the experience and learning of one generation to the next, to reproduce itself and provide a legacy to future generations. Now I will say that there is the possibility that new and fresh insights reveal oppression within traditional practices and norms but that is something which has to be seriously questioned too.

In even a legitimate process of change informed by decent insights with viable and clear objectives accompanied by timescales and tests you are clearly accepting that a generation of indviduals will be denied the experiences of their predecessors growing up and living their lives.

There was a time this was a lot easier to decide, I would suggest, than now, the benefits outweighed the costs or risks, although I am unsure that this remains the case, at least in terms of the cultural norms which I consider most contested in the public arena presently.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    However, each of those points has at its heart the idea that change is either inevitable or essentially desirable, why so?
    It's not necessarily change in general, but specific changes that activists are concerned about. Naturally there are a pluralistic range of views and you can often find activists on opposite sides of a particular issue.

This obviously comes down to the motivations of the activists - is the motivation to leave the world in a better state than it would otherwise have been without the actions of the activist?

It is however reasonable to question the level of control that individuals and groups will have. Unexpected changes can occur regardless of whether particular groups of individuals take action on a particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In even a legitimate process of change informed by decent insights with viable and clear objectives accompanied by timescales and tests you are clearly accepting that a generation of indviduals will be denied the experiences of their predecessors growing up and living their lives.
    And they will have different experiences in its stead. There are an infinite number of ways to order our environment and society, but for many of these possibilities there is no clear pathway from here to there. People therefore tend to focus on the range of pathways that they can imagine.