User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Well, think of a situation where those criteria were met, and tell me about it. If I find it unacceptable, then I'll amend the list. At this point I can't imagine one though.
    A brilliant composer with no relatives or friends living for decades in a forest cabin is murdered by someone who merely desires the composer's food and does not appreciate his presence. The composer was about to finish his masterpiece, return to society and become a lauded star. But now he is dead.

I think as soon as a person has become conscious enough to be able to conceive of some kind of plan for his life or some kind of role in this world, this life should not be taken from him without very good reason. I do not wish others to interfere with my plans, so I do not interfere with theirs. Of course these are just my ideals, and I have no way to convince you of them but to appeal to your sense of self-determination.

Well, it's just that nobody else knew about the existence of these children, and in all likelihood suffocation immediately after birth isn't a terrible way to go (at least no more terrible than a partial birth abortion). What would putting her in jail serve? Are there really a large portion of pregnant women who give birth in toilets and kill the babies? "Justice" in this case simply means placing a woman who could otherwise lead a happy life in jail. I just don't believe that should happen.

Edit

In my opinion, murder is perfectly acceptable if all of the following criteria are met:

1) The victim has no beforehand knowledge that he/she is going to be killed.
    2) There is minimal time in which the victim is aware of his/her demise (e.g. a quick kill, also implying minimal suffering).
    3) Nobody else, besides perhaps the attacker, suffers* as a result of the death of the victim.
    4) There might be a bit more to add here, but I'll have to think it through.

*The degree of suffering is left ambiguous, but is assumed to be more than say, liberals suffered when George Bush was elected to his second term.

We all die eventually...
    Would you be up for starting a hermit hunting association?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

In my opinion, murder is perfectly acceptable if all of the following criteria are met:

1) The victim has no beforehand knowledge that he/she is going to be killed.
    2) There is minimal time in which the victim is aware of his/her demise (e.g. a quick kill, also implying minimal suffering).
    3) Nobody else, besides perhaps the attacker, suffers* as a result of the death of the victim.
    4) There might be a bit more to add here, but I'll have to think it through.

*The degree of suffering is left ambiguous, but is assumed to be more than say, liberals suffered when George Bush was elected to his second term.

We all die eventually...
    So in essence, you believe that one person has the right to end another person's life for any reason, provided your conditions are met? I'm astounded that you left out any sort of justification as a condition. I'm unmarried with no children. If someone came up behind me and shot me in the back of the head, stole my wallet and ran away, you think that's totally cool? I'm with Jag, you're trolling. I simply can't believe that you believe that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It is imperative to consider her exact state of mind and whether or not it contributed to her actions, since if she was under severe psychological distress, then she wouldn't have been in full control of her actions. Now personally, the immediate and quick death of two new born infants isn't something that I consider to be a grave wrong, so long as the infants are unwanted by any other beings and are killed post haste; to me it would be more of an abortion with minimal pain and suffering on anyones end (well probably excpet for the one whom does kill them). Anyway, life inprisonment isn't really avalid response to her actions considering the factors that she probably wasn't in control of her actions and life in jail wouldn't really solve nor do anything of any practical worth anyway. However, complete freedom may be out of the question, as the woman could still be a threat in some regards, and most self-righteous simpletons would throw a fit is the woman was given anything other than a brutal and painful punishment. Thus, considering her predicament, I think that the most optimal thing to do would probably be to kill this woman. And I don't mean through the long and agonizing process of death row, I mean unexpected death via 'bullet in the back of the head' sort of deal. That would eliminate the threat, diminish any pain that she'll ever endure (cause she'll cease to exist) and satisify the bloodthirsty masses, although the lat part isn't of grave importance.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I suspect it's a 1 in xxxx case of effed up pregnancy hormones leading to temporary psychosis a la Brooke Shields, especially since she was fixed on hiding the pregnancy past all reasonable points of doing so.

I'm not a fan of abortions after the first trimester, but I don't see the difference between late term abortion and two minutes after birth abortion. Obviously there are laws to consider. But in terms of ethics, if A is okay then B should be okay because breathing air is only a technical difference.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I really like how you went from here:

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Now personally, the immediate and quick death of two new born infants isn't something that I consider to be a grave wrong [...]
    To there:

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Thus, considering her predicament, I think that the most optimal thing to do would probably be to kill this woman.

MBTI
    FREE

I'm out and about on my iPhone, so I'll respond later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glycerine

I am honestly not shocked....people will do things out of desperation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Women are crrrrrrrrrrrazy.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I really like how you went from here:

To there:
    My approval for her death would be one of mercy on her part; if she had committed those actions out of psychological distress then chances are she'll suffer through grave guilt. In addition, most other people would deomize and terrorize her if she were allowed to live in public. In that regard, death for her may be optimal. Although her going into hiding could work as well, considering she could conceal her identity far easier because of the obsecurity of the story (as opposed to Casey Anthony).