User Tag List

Default Women and Men writing about each other and themselves

I was searching earlier on Amazon for books similar to Stephen Vizinczey's In Praise of Older Women, I like the energy and style of the book and its seriously life affirming besides its central subject of an autobiographical sketch of why the author loves older women so much, and it wasnt easy to find any.

I checked philosophy and most of the other tags which I thought it might turn up in, believing that women being men's muse for such a long, long time I'd turn up some books but not really, not with much luck.

What I did find was a hell of a lot of books written by men about women in the who Pick Up Artist theme, which is old ground we dont necessarily have to cover over again here, I'm sure there are men who adore women who could be interested in or use these and find them useful, perhaps if they were wanting in confidence maybe, but they always impress me as too machavellian by half. Not in a fun way either.

There is a hell of a lot of books by women writing about being women, through the prism of feminism there is a hell of a lot of writing about and mainly by women writing about women and about men too.

There was a lot less written by men about being men or men and women, a lot of it is in the humour section or done with a humourous or rascally bent, when there are more serious topics covered they seem to have to have been smuggled in. Seriously, you're going aways back to discover it and sometimes it is too easily dismissed because of what at first sight appears like sexism and vanity to a contemporary quick scan. Or just what could appear dated somehow (I dont let that put me off and I've experienced that particular aversion less and less but I know that its there and many do).

Has anyone else noticed this? The imbalance, what accounts for that? What are the likely implications? Besides me not finding a book I want to read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think it's probably more due to...audience, I suppose, than anything. I don't mean to generalize, but I really don't see a whole lot of men in my life being much inclined to sit down and read some spiritual book about the nature of being man. Or being interested in writing one for that matter.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

increasing individualisation in society leads to increasing alienation. People have to find each others again

and besides that I think a lot of wisdom was lost with Generation X and Y. They were so consumed in their new world the computer and everything that some old wisdom got lost midway. I am not old enough to say if that happens with every new generation but if I nowadays turn to my Dad, I can often tell myself: why didnt I do that earlier, turning to my Dad I mean
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    I think it's probably more due to...audience, I suppose, than anything. I don't mean to generalize, but I really don't see a whole lot of men in my life being much inclined to sit down and read some spiritual book about the nature of being man. Or being interested in writing one for that matter.
    Why are women that way inclined and men are not?