User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default North American Army?

In a ceremony that was not reported in the American media, the United States and Canada signed a military agreement Feb. 14 allowing the armed forces from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a domestic civil emergency, even one that does not involve a cross-border crisis.

It was not voted on by Congress.

U.S. Northern Command News

U.S. Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart, commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, and Canadian Air Force Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais, commander of Canada Command, signed a Civil Assistance Plan that allows the military from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a civil emergency. The signing took place at U.S. Army North headquarters, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, Feb. 14, 2008.

"This document is a unique, bilateral military plan to align our respective national military plans to respond quickly to the other nation's requests for military support of civil authorities...

"Unity of effort during bilateral support for civil support operations such as floods, forest fires, hurricanes, earthquakes and effects of a terrorist attack, in order to save lives, prevent human suffering an mitigate damage to property, is of the highest importance, and we need to be able to have forces that are flexible and adaptive to support rapid decision-making in a collaborative environment."

Renuart said in a statement published on the USNORTHCOM website.

"The signing of this plan is an important symbol of the already strong working relationship between Canada Command and U.S. Northern Command."

"Our commands were created by our respective governments to respond to the defense and security challenges of the twenty-first century," he stressed, "and we both realize that these and other challenges are best met through cooperation between friends."

Lt. Gen. Dumais
    What do people think about this?

Has a North American Army been created without OK by Congress?

MBTI
    INTJ

I fail to see why this is necessary enough to warrant the possible risks.

Actually, I don't see that it is necessary at all, besides a way of getting around the fact that U.S. troops (excluding the national guard) aren't allowed to be deployed domestically (if I remember correctly).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't think it's a big deal or really means much of anything.

MBTI
    INTJ

Probably not, which doesn't lend any justification to it being created.

Just an image thing.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    ISTx

Isn't foreign policy and diplomacy manipulated daily without the common citizen's knowledge or consent? I dunno.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes. I'm not saying that's it's a problem. I'm saying that it seems rather pointless.

MBTI
    type

o_0

read between the lines, you guys. The push is not military, it's civilian.

The impetus was Hurricane Katrina: Canada got to New Orleans faster than George Bush did, even with having to clear their forces with the US: they had to expedite it through special channels (since it can otherwise be classified as an invasion).

Internationally, it was a major embarrassment for the US govt: raised questions of class divide, the efficiency of the US system, amongst others.

One quote from a major newspaper's reporter was, "When i saw the pictures, I thought to myself, this is America? My God, i thought it was in Africa."

fyi as a non participatory in either stated countries.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    o_0

read between the lines, you guys. The push is not military, it's civilian.

The impetus was Hurricane Katrina: Canada got to New Orleans faster than George Bush did, even with having to clear their forces with the US: they had to expedite it through special channels (since it can otherwise be classified as an invasion).

Internationally, it was a major embarrassment for the US govt: raised questions of class divide, the efficiency of the US system, amongst others.

One quote from a major newspaper's reporter was, "When i saw the pictures, I thought to myself, this is America? My God, i thought it was in Africa."

fyi as a non participatory in either stated countries.
    I realize that, but the problem in this case would appear to be the efficiency of the U.S. I fail to see how depending on another country for domestic crises limits embarassment.

MBTI
    type

other details: (perhaps the canadians here can help correct me if i'm wrong):

for CAD, the military and civil services are very closely linked. C&C (command and control) of specific incidences are given to whichever agency is in charge of that crisis: eg, a fire would be under the fire brigade as main C&C, while terror would come under ministry of interior/home affairs. These will coordinate the various agencies necessary: police, hospitals, media, etcetc.

Basically, the CAD system is set up to run efficiently and streamlined: they have a commitment to respond to any major crisis in 6 hrs, from any part of the country, to any part of the country, no matter how remote.

that's impressive by any standards.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

heart on fire

What do Canadians think about this issue I wonder?