User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    This frightens me. Firstly, it looks like my retreat back home in case of an unrest in the United States is becoming less of an option. Secondly, why would canadians want to sacrifice their autonomy? Perhaps this is merely a foot in the door for the Amero? I've never been a proponent for the EU, for I think it destroys identity, specifically cultural identity.
    What is so good about cultural identity? Does my identity as an American eliminate my identity as a Texan? The E.U. or NAFTA/Amero is no different from combining states into one nation. I would rather have a competitive edge than be an indepedent weak nation.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What is so good about cultural identity? Does my identity as an American eliminate my identity as a Texan? The E.U. or NAFTA/Amero is no different from combining states into one nation. I would rather have a competitive edge than be an indepedent weak nation.
    most people would rather keep who they are, than sacrifice it for the sake of economic progress (note that strength nowadays is more often defined by economic strength, than military might).

My country chose the latter: we sacrificed all notions of cultural identity for it. In return for one of the highest GDPs in the world, and a brutal efficiency, what you have is a citizenry apathetic towards its leadership, who are always willing to jump ship. Because it's no longer "this is my country", but rather, "this is my company."

ie, pte, ltd.

There are no blood ties to a place of work.

Actually, there will not be an Amero. Simply put: too many sovereignity issues. America would wanna be the leader, but europe would not let it. So FTAs and pacts, yes, but Amero, no.

You'd wipe out all the currency trades in one shot. and whoever politicians offend, it sure isn't the money people. gotta differentiate the whambang talk for the real purpose behind. POliticians are always full of spin: sometimes it's to convince outsiders, othertimes, it's to convince their own domestic audience. Rule by carrot and stick.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    most people would rather keep who they are, than sacrifice it for the sake of economic progress (note that strength nowadays is more often defined by economic strength, than military might).

My country chose the latter: we sacrificed all notions of cultural identity for it. In return for one of the highest GDPs in the world, and a brutal efficiency, what you have is a citizenry apathetic towards its leadership, who are always willing to jump ship. Because it's no longer "this is my country", but rather, "this is my company."

ie, pte, ltd.

There are no blood ties to a place of work.
    I understand what you are saying, but its not entirely what I meant. There is a difference between pride in where you are from, and sacrificing advancement for the sake of keeping your culture in tact. What culture still exists in the form it did 200 years ago? What makes one culture special besides the fact that the individual is from it? What is wrong with the creation of a new culture? This is why it is done slowly, as in the case of the E.U. British politics style.

Actually, there will not be an Amero. Simply put: too many sovereignity issues. America would wanna be the leader, but europe would not let it. So FTAs and pacts, yes, but Amero, no.

You'd wipe out all the currency trades in one shot. and whoever politicians offend, it sure isn't the money people. gotta differentiate the whambang talk for the real purpose behind. POliticians are always full of spin: sometimes it's to convince outsiders, othertimes, it's to convince their own domestic audience. Rule by carrot and stick.
    Yes, I am in full agreement with this.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but its not entirely what I meant. There is a difference between pride in where you are from, and sacrificing advancement for the sake of keeping your culture in tact. What culture still exists in the form it did 200 years ago? What makes one culture special besides the fact that the individual is from it? What is wrong with the creation of a new culture? This is why it is done slowly, as in the case of the E.U. British politics style.
    oh ok. i hadn't meant complete sacrifice of one's culture. But that, up to a certain point, when it changes, it is too much, or too fast, and all of culture dies: to the point that citizenry has no sense of 'national identity', so to speak.

note: by culture, i don't just mean the superficial things like race/religion etc, i mean the zeitgeist, the ethos which resonates with a person and makes him/her claim that place 'home'. Sense of cultural identity, so to speak; which is invariably linked with national identity.

In that sense, when it is too fast, the old culture dies, what you have is alienation: that is partly why foreign countries, especially europe, are now facing disenfranchised, second generation Muslim youths, who are now a hotbed for terrorist recruitment. (i think this is derailing....)

Ever read The Rise and Fall of Civilisations? Or Huntington's The Clash of Civilisations, which talks of the divide between the Muslim world and the Western world (it's one of the things we teach our 17 year olds when discussing philosophy of govt. compulsory modules hahahaa.).
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    ESFJ

[QUOTE=heart;188646]Most people in the world who are wealthy enough to have access to media don't think about anything the media doesn't suggest that they think about./QUOTE]

Fixed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    It seems the times are pretty scary.

The Military Commission Act of 2006 allows the US government to deny Habeas Corpus to "enemy combatants". And the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act gave Bush the power to declare martial law and take charge of United States National Guard troops without state governor authorization when public order has been lost.

Add a domestic alliance with Canadian military and you start to wonder if somebody is planning something.

This is beginning to concern me greatly, but it might just be that Ni going into hyperdrive.

You and me both, sister. I wouldn't put anything past this bunch.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ESFJ

This is actually about #8,247 on my list of things to be worried about regarding the federal government. And I like Canada and (generally) Canadians.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    Kiddo/MetalWounds,
    connect the dots:

Habeas Corpus against 'enemy combatants' (think, against whom does the US uses this euphemism?). De facto military control to the President for emergencies. Alliance with a friendly neighbour for civil emergencies. The Patriots' Act.

You can see the pic already, can't ya? cos i really can't get more obvious than this, and i really can't say more in a public forum.

(and no, i'm not being flippant here at all. the links are there. See it. ) if you're interested in further discussion, PM me.
    I've been connecting the dots for a few years now. I think I'm beginning to see a pattern, and it scares the hell out of me.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

It's a non-event. If anyone attacked Canada, the US would rush to it's defense (regardless of any treaty). They would never allow a hostile power to have bases that close to their borders without a fight. They would do the same for any hostile action by foreign power anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. If China invaded Cuba, whom they hate - they would also defend Cuba's sovereignty.

If someone attacked the US on it's soil, Canada would have almost no effect on the outcome of the conflict. Meaning, the US would have been able to defend itself without Canada, or if they couldn't, they still lose. It's the equivalent of Sweden, siding with the Nazis during WWII - inconsequential.
    Last edited by meanlittlechimp; 04-16-2008 at 08:11 PM.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal or really means much of anything.

Yes, it must be considered within a larger context (the forming of the NAU) to be understood.
    read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to learn how the Federal Reserve is robbing Americans blind and destroying this nation and others.