User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    I'm with Kiddo on this one...makes me wonder if it was created in preparation for a scenario that we haven't been informed of. What other logical reason does it have for existence? One can "read between the lines" all that one wants, but when it comes down to it the military is future oriented, and this is a huge step toward a larger goal, what that is I would like to know.
    Absolutely! We (USA) have problems south of the border.. of course that could and would extend past the northern one... obviously its a new world of terrorism. This is only the beginning of changes to our more traditional, separationist, thinking.

MBTI
    infp

I'm Canadian, just so you know.

At least this dispells the rumour we in fact don't have a military

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    This frightens me. Firstly, it looks like my retreat back home in case of an unrest in the United States is becoming less of an option. Secondly, why would canadians want to sacrifice their autonomy? Perhaps this is merely a foot in the door for the Amero? I've never been a proponent for the EU, for I think it destroys identity, specifically cultural identity.
    Noel, I love what you said about sacrificing autonomy. I think the last things Canadians want is for Canada to be the U.S. I think the last thing Canadians want is for us to be too similar, too unified with the U.S. This sounds rediculous because of how similar we already are culturally and economically (in that we trade with eachother so much), but I think you might know what I mean -Canadians are proud to be Canadian and proud to not be American. That shouldn't be taken as an offence to Americans, because it isn't, we just like our own country and culture and history and we are proud of the things we do differently from the U.S. (such as our military practices and our parliament). Canada would be pissed if it was unified with the U.S. because the population differences would mean we'd bassically just dissolve into the U.S. systems when we don't like them.

So this wasn't taken up with congress or the house of commons? Thats kind of strange, but I think that probably just means its extremely insignificant. I think both nations can probably handle crisis situations perfectly well, theoretically (don't know what happened with katrina, though)

The concept of the Amero is kind of creepy, I think... never heard about it untill now. I personally just love the Canadian money, theres a lot to look at, its visually appealing moreso than U.S. money at least.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think its any big secret that alot of Canadians (and others) don't like American systems or America in general for that matter.. blah, blah, blah so, on some level, I understand the propensity for fear that it may be goobled up by what's perceived as a "big daddy".. not even "brother" but I hardly think this is any sign of that... totally fear-based alarmism. Americans would be in revolt if nothing else.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Americans would be in revolt if nothing else.
    Most Americans don't think about anything the media doesn't suggest that they think about. So until CNN or MTV or some citcom makes it popular, there won't be any revolts over anything in America.

So how would Americans even know about this to revolt over it? There was nothing in the USA media about it whatsoever. Most people don't know about it.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Most Americans don't think anything the media doesn't suggest that they think. So until CNN or MTV or some citcom makes it popular, there won't be any revolts over anything in America.

So how would Americans even know about this to revolt over it? There was nothing in the USA media about it whatsoever. Most people don't know about it.
    Just so I can put that in some perspective... are you American heart?

heart on fire

Yes, I was born and raised in Texas as a matter of fact.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, I was born and raised in Texas as a matter of fact.
    IC well, Fox News, happens to have the highest viewership... but most Americans get there news on late-night TV delivered by comedians.

heart on fire

What is the difference between if they get their news from Fox or from CNN? Same difference. My point was, if the news as a whole does not promote an issue and tell people exactly what to think about, most of them are just nonplussed about it.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

What is the difference between if they get their news from Fox or from CNN? Same difference. My point was, if the news as a whole does not promote an issue and tell people exactly what to think about, most of them are just nonplussed about it.
    Not same difference to me. I missed the point because of my disdain for the George Soros type of reporting done on those you mentioned. I much prefer the more objective reporting and balanced analysis on Fox. Sorry... we do seem to have communication issues. Many are nonplussed no matter what IMO. But, I will say, it tends to be the more elderly who pay attention. Perhaps the younger are too busy with the "scramble"... two-paycheck families and such.

heart on fire

This is no objective media. Age has no bearing on how much critical thought people apply to the information they recieve.