User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 60

  1. #1
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,681

    Default Will Southeastern USA become uninhabitable ?

    For years there is a one concept that is going around my head and I think that I want to share it with people who actually live in the region. Actually I would expand the argument on the central USA that has problems with tornados as well as Caribbean islands. Also I would like to keep global warming out of this thread since that is not what I am asking.



    Ok so here is the concept. As you all probably know the world is running out of oil and production seems to be somewhere around the peak. (same is with Uranium)
    On the other hand the Southeastern USA and some surrounding regions are constantly hit by cyclones , violent storms , tropical storms , hurricanes .... etc. and this is basically going since ever.


    Now the problems is that when those two problems overleap that could create a serious consequences for Southeastern USA and USA in general on the long run.




    The problems is that many of the renewable energy sources are quite fragile : solar and wind energy especially. What suggest that once the oil is gone or gone for the most part there will be power shortages in this part of the world.
    Since this constant storms and high winds will be constantly destroying the fragile power plants. On the other hand you cant expect that a few nuclear power plants and dams in the region will cover the production off all energy/fuel needed for the american way of life. Not to mention the extra energy needed for repairing and rebuilding the damage made by storms.



    The truth is that you could help yourself with the coal but that creates additional problems. Because in that case you would need to rise your coal consumption for a huge amount/number. (multiple time increase) What will greatly reduce the quality of both air and life. Especially since the new power plants will have to be built closer to the settlements to reduce the power loses. Plus a lot of energy will be spent on mining and transportation of coal. So the coal consumption might go up as high as 10 times. (in theory)

    Another problems would be a social one. The quality of air in major cities would turn in to something that would look like many cities in modern China. What will then greatly boost the healthcare cost. Pushing many people over the financial edge. Also the rich people that are often the most well educated people might decide that they will try their luck in some other part of the country or abroad. What then creates the spiral of social downfall since most of knowledge and intelligence will move out. Mass movements are also possible in this scenario.


    But make no mistake even the coal is just a quick fix that cant last on the long run.


    So the last option that is left are bio fuels. But this option also has a serious problem. The most of crops for growth highly depend upon chemicals that are made of oil. Plus more bio fuels directly means less food. (and probably much higher prices) Not to mention that many countries depend upon American crops as their stabile food supply. (and they return the favor with cheap goods, resources .... or something). So there is not way that under these conditions this can be the primary energy source. Especially since the production also take plenty of energy. Another problem is that you could get another heat/drought wave like the one this year. Which would destroy most of your potential power supply as well as food that would be hard to replenish from other/far regions.




    What in the end rises a serious question about how will you power the civilization in your corner of the world ?

    Importing power from other parts of the county is not an option as well. Since losses will simply be too large and others will probably have not too mach energy as well.




    The obvious example of potential problems could be the New Orleans disaster from the few years back. The trick is that the city was salvaged exactly because there was plenty of energy to do it. But if a storm makes city uninhabitable and destroys most of your power supplies it will take quite some time to repair things and return everything to normal. (if ever) Plus this disruption would brake the business cycles completely. Making them hard to return where they were. Not to mention that the economic consequences will be felt far far away from disaster zone.


    Basically all of this would mean the every part of the globe that has frequent violent storms is at risk of social collapse because of the named reasons.
    (major cities included)




    So, is this truly a ticking time bomb no one is thinking about ?

  2. #2
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,681

    Default

    0 replies ? Does that mean that everybody agrees with the idea that the region is doomed ?


    Or the post is just too big ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    I see no reason why the Southeastern USA would become uninhabitable

    Do you see any reasons why it might be?

    All of the reasons you list are speculative and have no bearing on whether or not the region is habitable.

    When you say habitable, do you mean for humans? Because I would remind the forum that humans can habitate in virtually any climate, from space shuttles to deserts, mountains to Sealand

    Here is a nice article on Sealand

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

    Now, if you are asking whether Southeastern USA is prone to storm damage, I would say yes. I live in the Midwest, I have a lot of respect for storms. In fact, just 3 weeks ago, a major storm hit my neighborhood, hundreds of trees were killed, but exactly zero people felt the need to vacate our storm-torn lands for Switzerland or Washington or any of the other less tornadoey areas of the world

  4. #4
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I see no reason why the Southeastern USA would become uninhabitable

    Do you see any reasons why it might be?

    First post.

  5. #5
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I see no reason why the Southeastern USA would become uninhabitable

    Do you see any reasons why it might be?

    All of the reasons you list are speculative and have no bearing on whether or not the region is habitable.

    When you say habitable, do you mean for humans? Because I would remind the forum that humans can habitate in virtually any climate, from space shuttles to deserts, mountains to Sealand

    Here is a nice article on Sealand

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

    Now, if you are asking whether Southeastern USA is prone to storm damage, I would say yes. I live in the Midwest, I have a lot of respect for storms. In fact, just 3 weeks ago, a major storm hit my neighborhood, hundreds of trees were killed, but exactly zero people felt the need to vacate our storm-torn lands for Switzerland or Washington or any of the other less tornadoey areas of the world

    Yes, they are speculative but that does not mean that they are wrong by default.


    And by habitable I mean : habitable for modern civilization.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Yes, they are speculative but that does not mean that they are wrong by default.


    And by habitable I mean : habitable for modern civilization.
    What makes a place uninhabitable? I say it is certainly not a lack of resources (see Japan), certainly not storm damage (see my uncle's house in Miami), certainly not a lack of infrastructure, certainly not economic slowdowns (See USA), and certainly not the origin of the electrical power (See TVA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Valley_Authority).

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    This is what someone says when they've actually never seen the United States. It's okay, because I've made these errors about the topography of other countries simply through seeing news clips, et al.

    The SouthEastern USA is BIG....also, New Orleans is built below sea level. We know this. People have known this for like 150 years. It is protected by levies, both natural and man-made. It was a freak occurrence of nature that the city was destroyed after so many decades of vitality, but the fact remains that we know that it's below sea level ...not surprising, and this fact does not even apply to all of Louisiana, let alone all of the SouthEastern United States, lol.

    There are hurricanes on the east coast, but even in NC you can completely avoid them by living far enough away from the coast.

    Essentially what you're asking is if people near the coast of any country will have problems, which is silly because of course they will. Look at what happens in Japan.

    However, you're completely disregarding that much of the Southern states aren't on the coast at all (for example, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia) and that even the ones which are coastal aren't even ENTIRELY coastal, just partially.

    So...no.

  8. #8
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What makes a place uninhabitable? I say it is certainly not a lack of resources, certainly not storm damage, certainly not a lack of infrastructure, certainly not economic slowdowns, and certainly not the origin of the electrical power.

    But honest with me . Did you read the entire first post ?


    Because there is explained in detail from where the energy problem might come from. And all of the other problems will on the long run emerge from that problem.
    Also note that I am asking about the future. (a few decaded into the future) Today region is more or less stabile yes, but I am wondering if that will be the case with fundamental changes that will come out of Peak oil.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Essentially what you're asking is if people near the coast of any country will have problems, which is silly because of course they will. Look at what happens in Japan.
    You are daft and silly. Everybody knows that humans would never occupy coastal areas under any circumstances. In fact, the easiest way to determine whether or not a human civilization can survive, is whether that civilization is located near a major water source, like a river or an ocean. Can you imagine living near a large body of water? I sure can't. And I certainly would not support any civilization that would subject themselves to the potential ravages of water and strong winds. I think we should evacuate Seattle first.

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Well since the South powers New York City, I'd be more worried about New York City if I were you...you do realize that coal is what keeps the lights on?

    I'd be much more worried about states like Nevada, that pump in natural resources to a barren desert.

    The air quality in the SouthEast still beats the living fuck out of L.A., Chicago and New York...none of which are in the SouthEast.

    I'm sorry but I really don't know where you're going with this.

Similar Threads

  1. What way do you think the former USA will be carved up?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM
  3. Will humans become an evolutionary dead-end?
    By Such Irony in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM
  4. Humanity will become stupider?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 01:27 AM
  5. [MBTItm] Will A Paradigm Shift Effect MBTI %?
    By "?" in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO