First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In fact, this entire conversation has made me realize that living in the South is actually smarter, not more dangerous.

*contemplates going home*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    But honest with me . Did you read the entire first post ?

Because there is explained in detail from where the energy problem might come from. And all of the other problems will on the long run emerge from that problem.
    Also note that I am asking about the future. (a few decaded into the future) Today region is more or less stabile yes, but I am wondering if that will be the case with fundamental changes that will come out of Peak oil.
    I read every word of your post

Ask yourself what a person living outside of SE USA would do

Now ask yourself what a person living inside SE USA would do

Perhaps people in SE USA may be more likely to purchase energy-efficient vehicles, because the south is slightly more rural than the north (I actually don't know this, I'm just guessing). Because it is more rural, people have to drive further, so they may be inclined to save some money on gasoline. And I can imagine there might be a few more wind farms in the coming years.

Ask yourself how much it costs a person living in SE USA to heat their house in January

Ask yourself how much it costs a person living in not-SE USA to heat their house in January

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This is what someone says when they've actually never seen the United States. It's okay, because I've made these errors about the topography of other countries simply through seeing news clips, et al.

The SouthEastern USA is BIG....also, New Orleans is built below sea level. We know this. People have known this for like 150 years. It is protected by levies, both natural and man-made. It was a freak occurrence of nature that the city was destroyed after so many decades of vitality, but the fact remains that we know that it's below sea level ...not surprising, and this fact does not even apply to all of Louisiana, let alone all of the SouthEastern United States, lol.

There are hurricanes on the east coast, but even in NC you can completely avoid them by living far enough away from the coast.

Essentially what you're asking is if people near the coast of any country will have problems, which is silly because of course they will. Look at what happens in Japan.

However, you're completely disregarding that much of the Southern states aren't on the coast at all (for example, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia) and that even the ones which are coastal aren't even ENTIRELY coastal, just partially.

So...no.
    Well I useed the simplified term "south" because I did not want to name eveything in detail.

However the fact that the reagin is big does not mean anthing in this topic.
    The whole point of the question is how will you power the civilization if strong winds will knock out your solar panels and windmill or destroy crops that should be turned into fuel.

That is basically all what I am asking .

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

the crops are in the mid-west, bro

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That is, unless you think tobacco farms and cows and pigs are going to be used for "fuel"...I don't know that anyone would use tobacco crops or livestock for fuel, and they're certainly not going to take it from people's small family farms or personal gardens.

the crops are in the mid-west, bro

So you are telling me that in all of those states there is not crops at all ? Yes, there in more crops in the mid west ok but that in not the point.
    However this would only worsen the potential problem since that means that bio fules are even less likely to be the solution of the problem.

MBTI
    INTP

However the fact that the reagin is big does not mean anthing in this topic.
    The whole point of the question is how will you power the civilization if strong winds will knock out your solar panels and windmill or destroy crops that should be turned into fuel.

That is basically all what I am asking .
    There is a severe shortage of crops in the USA, this much should be obvious.

As for strong winds? Use these

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So you are telling me that in all of those states there is not crops at all ? Yes, there in more crops in the mid west ok but that in not the point.
    However this would only worsen the potential problem since that means that bio fules are even less likely to be the solution of the problem.
    Can you please just admit you don't know what you are talking about?

The hurricanes which hit the coast of eastern NC don't even knock out the tobacco crops in western NC. I also don't know of a lot of people keeping their large quantities of livestock near the beach - I haven't seen a lot of cow or pig farms at the coast, they're usually a little further inland. You really, really are over-estimating how much damage these hurricanes do to the entire state, let alone the whole south.

Besides, several states are totally landlocked, as I've already mentioned - including WV, which is where the coal comes from.

New Orleans is a city, so there isn't a lot of farming there.

I'm really truly puzzled, but I think you're just theorizing based on things you've seen on television or read about in news papers, and have a very limited scope of what the South is actually like.

This is why I'm always bitching about experience, folks, this is why.

MBTI
    INTP

Can you please just admit you don't know what you are talking about?

The hurricanes which even hit the coast of eastern NC don't even knock out the tobacco crops in western NC. I also don't know of a lot of people keeping their large quantities of livestock near the beach - I haven't seen a lot of cow or pig farms at the coast, they're usually a little further inland. You really, really are over-estimating how much damage these hurricanes do to the entire state, let alone the whole south.

Besides, several states are totally landlocked, as I've already mentioned - including WV, which is where the coal comes from.
    I have a theory for this misunderstanding

This may be the only thing that a lot of people know about hurricanes. They look really big.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

In the next ten years, kudzu is going to completely take it over. South Carolina stands no chance in the face of the mighty kudzu.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex