User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Paul's ideas would work fantastically in an ideal world, just like Marxism.
    Isn't Marxism a sociocultural theory rather than a purely political one? I mean, there's Marxist literary criticism and all that...

Sniffles

It's primarily a political ideology that has sociocultural implications to it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

ITT:

And.... I'm out.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's primarily a political ideology that has sociocultural implications to it.
    Ah, thanks. You're like Bill Nye the History Guy.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Providing medical care is not communism. The UK did it in 1948. Are they a communist country? We already have socialized services such as public education.

Medical insurance executives get bonuses and promotions for denying legitimate claims. They look for mistakes on forms. They argue the test was/ is unnecessary. They say the procedure is experimental, so they won't pay. They are instructed to deny the claim first, and make the customer fight for it. Insurance executives have testified before congress.

I had full insurance once, but they refused to pay half of the cost.

Now I don't have medical insurance because it is a scam. I had $32,000 in hospital bills last year for emergency surgery. I offered to pay around $3000, which the hospitals accepted. I met with the administrator for one of the hospitals, and he explained that he was pleased with my offer of 22% of my bill. He said that 1000's of people pay nothing...they just refuse to pay. I could have done that. (That was the small local hospital, the surgery was performed in a city hospital.)

The hospital administrator said they need a better system. It's the insurance companies that are making the money. He said they fall $100,000 in the negative every month, so COSTS are purposefully inflated in an attempt to cover it.

The total write off for my medical bills was 90%. The city hospital is a nonprofit, thankfully. They just looked at my W2, and wrote off everything.

Anyway, we should have public healthcare. Terrorism kills maybe 60 people per year on average, but lack of medical care kills hundreds of thousands. Regular check ups and preventive medicine would save lots of cost, but many are scared of going to the hospital. I was terrified of going to the hospital, so I waited longer than I should have...about 42 hours with appendicitis before I drove myself to the hospital.

Of course, if I'd waited a few more days, I probably would have died. Maybe.

Wow, they really got you by the balls when you're dying. I think it's the moral equivalent of robbing someone with a gun, and anyone who laughs or applauds should have that gun shoved right up their ass.

MBTI
    INFP

Business becomes big business when they get their priveledges from government. There are notable exceptions, mainly in consumer electronics/software.

As for health care, for best results you want there to be as much possibility for doctors and hospitals to negotiate arrangements for themselves

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

As of September 13, nearly 50 million Americans lack health insurance, the poverty rate has increased, and the United States still has one of the highest poverty rates in the developed world, doing slightly better than our dear friend Mexico.

Do any of you really believe that the beliefs that people such as Ron Paul or the tea party back will bring our poverty rates to at least to that of the rest of the developed world, hmm?

Or are we really shooting in the opposite direction for third world status?

Just curious.

MBTI
    INFP

If you want to battle poverty, you have to focus why there is unemployment, and why it's getting worse. Why standard of living goes down, why it gets more expensive. Employment will come, if you set the stage to get confidence back for people to hire and setup their own business by tackling monitary policy, tax policy and to be burden free from red tape , debt and Obama Care. Stronger currency will get capital to flow back in.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    THE ENTIRE FIRST WORLD IS INSANE AND ARROGANT...according to you. Sure you aren't the one who is insane and arrogant?
    MOST of the people in the first BELIEVE things that are insane or IGNORANT. Read much?

So yeah there should be no regulations on polluting our drinking water, or our air, or unethically selling people stuff that the business knows its clients can't actually afford creating illusory bubbles, and Chinese businesses should be able to sell people cooking oil out of the gutter?
    Sweet reductio you've got there. You're not refuting the assertion. If you think that most people in the world have a solid grasp of politics and economics AND advocate consistently for sane, rational policies that address the ills they perceive, then you have what I would consider to be a pollyanna-ish view. Perhaps dangerously so. The fact that even "experts" in those fields get things wrong ALL THE TIME is the main reason why limiting human power over other human beings is vital to a free and prosperous world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    If you want to battle poverty, you have to focus why there is unemployment, and why it's getting worse. Why standard of living goes down, why it gets more expensive. Employment will come, if you set the stage to get confidence back for people to hire and setup their own business by tackling monitary policy, tax policy and to be burden free from red tape , debt and Obama Care. Stronger currency will get capital to flow back in.
    But there was greater government oversight of business pre-Reagan (though I do admire what Reagan did, don't get me wrong, I am old enough to remember the end of the Cold War, so I don't have a beef with Reagan, I consider him one of the better Republican presidents) ...and before laissez-faire, the minimum wage was much lower, but people got more for their dollar. One of the reasons why I do have any respect for Ron Paul is because he seems more like an old school, ethical Republican, and it's one of the reasons why I don't want to choke moderate Republicans the way I do the far-right conservatives and anarcho-capitalists.

However, from Eisenhower through Reagan there was more government oversight, and the rich paid higher taxes, even under Republican presidents, and the economy had more stability.

We live now in a time of boom or bust. I don't think that's a sensible way to live.