User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Infanticide no big deal....

...according to the Canadian legal code, apparently.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-sentence.html
    Last edited by Bellflower; 09-14-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: title typo

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yeah, they got it right the first time with the second-degree murder conviction. This is ridiculous.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_psychosis

The reason behind her actions may have been the result of involuntary insanity, meaning that she wasn't in full control of her actions at all. Thus throwing in her in prison for life as means of punishment seems rather senseless, if her action was the result of a severe psychological condition. That said, I think death would be the best option for her; I mean let's face it, her life is basically ruined as almost no one in society will accept her as a human being and she'll have to live in eternal guilt with the death of her child. By having her put to death though, all her pain and suffering will cease to be and the emotional need for retribution will be delivered for those whom are disgusted by her actions.

Not that I care all that much about the dead infant at all though; as far as I'm concerned the quick death of a newborn isn't that different than an abortion, and the death of one unwanted infant isn't the end of the world.

Also, the self-righteousness of some of those commenters is rather quite annyoing; seriously can no one give commentary that isn't their base emotional raction?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Also, the self-righteousness of some of those commenters is rather quite annyoing; seriously can no one give commentary that isn't their base emotional raction?
    No, otherwise, they wouldn't feel like they needed to comment.

Not that I care all that much about the dead infant at all though; as far as I'm concerned the quick death of a newborn isn't that different than an abortion, and the death of one unwanted infant isn't the end of the world.
    Is the worthiness of your life dependent upon whether your wanted?

Is the child not wanted by society if it's not wanted by its mother?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    No, otherwise, they wouldn't feel like they needed to comment.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Is the worthiness of your life dependent upon whether your wanted?

Is the child not wanted by society if it's not wanted by its mother?
    I was simply giving my personal opinion on the matter. I'm not saying that the value of life should be solely determined by what society wants, not by a long shot. But the reactions from people seem to be rather extreme given the fact that the death of an infant, who was only known to few people, died.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_psychosis

The reason behind her actions may have been the result of involuntary insanity, meaning that she wasn't in full control of her actions at all. Thus throwing in her in prison for life as means of punishment seems rather senseless, if her action was the result of a severe psychological condition. That said, I think death would be the best option for her; I mean let's face it, her life is basically ruined as almost no one in society will accept her as a human being and she'll have to live in eternal guilt with the death of her child. By having her put to death though, all her pain and suffering will cease to be and the emotional need for retribution will be delivered for those whom are disgusted by her actions.

I agree with you. While I certainly do not support infanticide, there is clearly something WRONG when a woman gives birth secretly in her parents home as a teenager and kills the baby. She obviously was not of sound mind.

Now, I think she needs psychiatric care, and possibly to get away from her parents. They don't say anything about that.

Good point.

I was simply giving my personal opinion on the matter. I'm not saying that the value of life should be solely determined by what society wants, not by a long shot. But the reactions from people seem to be rather extreme given the fact that the death of an infant, who was only known to few people,
    I'd rather live a society where people overreact to harm done to the weak and helpless than in a society that is indifferent to the sufferings of the weak and helpless.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'd rather live a society where people overreact to harm done to the weak and helpless than in a society that is indifferent to the sufferings of the weak and helpless.
    And if you had any real perspective you'd realize that "weak and helpless" can also describe mentally ill 19 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    And if you had any real perspective you'd realize that "weak and helpless" can also describe mentally ill 19 year old girls.
    It can. It depends on the situation.

She was pretty damn powerful when she ended a life with her own hands.

I'm not saying that I don't feel sorry for her or empathetic towards her or think mercy should be extended to her. But, there is no justification for ending an innocent life and she should suffer some serious punishment from the state.