User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

One thing that I'd like to add about the Pope's new list is that it is too reactionary and topical to last more than fifty years.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

spartan26, very nice!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It sounds more like he's just using the Seven Deadly Sin motif as a vehicle to address particular modern social ills that people might not consider if they're just immersed in the original, rather abstracted list. People swipe established patterns all the time as vehicles for ideas they want to promote, whether or not the vehicle 100% describes the contents.

(Although it was humorous in the sense of leaving me feel like I was looking at the "Seven Wonders of the MODERN World" list when people forgot about all seven on the old list or didn't care anymore.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    So... for years we have had :

Pride (Vanity) - Now there is nothing wrong with pride, but pride that gets in the way of one's belief in God or over shadows ones belief in God is what is meant here.

Envy - An excessive jealousy of someone else's possessions, abilities, or attributes.

Gluttony - This is basically eating too much. Eating more than your body needs to survive is considered gluttony.

Lust - A more than healthy need to fulfill ones sexual appetites

Anger (Wrath) - Spurn love and opt for fury.

Greed - When the desire for wealth overrides the need for spiritualisation.

Sloth - Those who avoid work both physically and spiritually.

They are like old friends to some of us, I am sure...!

Well, courtesy of the Pope, last month, we got another seven to add to the collection. All new sins that are believed to reflect the problems of the modern world. These are as follows :

* Genetic Modification

* Human Experimentation

* Polluting the Environment

* Social Injustice

* Causing Poverty

* Financial Gluttony

* Taking Drugs

So.. what do we think. Is this a good, helpful list? Would you remove or edit any? Is there any irony in the church listing financial gluttony a sin? (or is it the Pope calling the kettle black )

What would your seven (or less... or more...) modern deadly sins be?
    Can you link where you read this please? I want to read the reasoning behind it because I'm Catholic haven't really heard much about it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Can you link where you read this please? I want to read the reasoning behind it because I'm Catholic haven't really heard much about it.
    The thread is eight months old, you might do better just web-searching yourself for it on Yahoo or Google.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Thou shall not impose their religion on another.
    I'd rather have "Thou shalt not impose your morality on another".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    So... for years we have had :

Pride (Vanity) - Now there is nothing wrong with pride, but pride that gets in the way of one's belief in God or over shadows ones belief in God is what is meant here.

Envy - An excessive jealousy of someone else's possessions, abilities, or attributes.

Gluttony - This is basically eating too much. Eating more than your body needs to survive is considered gluttony.

Lust - A more than healthy need to fulfill ones sexual appetites

Anger (Wrath) - Spurn love and opt for fury.

Greed - When the desire for wealth overrides the need for spiritualisation.

Sloth - Those who avoid work both physically and spiritually.

They are like old friends to some of us, I am sure...!

Well, courtesy of the Pope, last month, we got another seven to add to the collection. All new sins that are believed to reflect the problems of the modern world. These are as follows :

* Genetic Modification

* Human Experimentation

* Polluting the Environment

* Social Injustice

* Causing Poverty

* Financial Gluttony

* Taking Drugs

So.. what do we think. Is this a good, helpful list? Would you remove or edit any? Is there any irony in the church listing financial gluttony a sin? (or is it the Pope calling the kettle black )

What would your seven (or less... or more...) modern deadly sins be?
    I'd probably only leave "Sloth" and remove everything else.

MBTI
    ENTP

All sin stems from dishonesty and a lack of integrity.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

OK so i read a little bit about the seven "new deadly sins" and realized why I hadn't heard about them. It's because the Catholic Church does not say they are "new seven deadly sins." In fact, they are not deadly sins at all. Let me explain.
    The Church holds that there are mortal sins and venial sins, mortal are more severe and venial are lesser. These are specific actions like murder, theft, prostitution. The deadly sins are of a different nature. You don't commit a deadly sin or confess it during reconciliation, instead these are the things that the Church believes lead people to commit the mortal and venial sins. This is the reason for the vague words--you don't commit sloth, you do (or fail to do) something because of sloth. Notice that the so called new sins are much more specific than the seven deadly sins. This was a media slip.