User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default George Bush vs. Barack Obama

As objectively as this can be discussed. What good/bad has each President brought to the table in running this Country? Who is the lesser of both evils?

I just had a friend friend make a status that said "If Bush can be re-elected why can't Obama?" Worst logic ever in defending a president.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Bush was re-elected via ruling by fear, which Obama has not done, so that is why he was re-elected and why it's actually not a good argument, although Bush was a nightmare disaster of a president. Nothing like some stupid fuck who ruins our civil relations with the rest of the world, destroys our economy, and implements an invasive, unconstitutional act to keep an eye on citizens. It's like the worst of capitalism and communism all in the same breath. Bush was a fucking failure, but he at least was smart enough to benefit his own rich friends and oil interests, as well as keeping the peons properly AFRAID.

The one nice thing Bush did was implement No Child Left Behind, but that too is so standardized and rigid is that it takes creativity out of the classroom.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Bush was re-elected via ruling by fear, which Obama has not done, so that is why he was re-elected and why it's actually not a good argument, although Bush was a nightmare disaster of a president. Nothing like some stupid fuck who ruins our civil relations with the rest of the world, destroys our economy, and implements an invasive, unconstitutional act to keep an eye on citizens. It's like the worst of capitalism and communism all in the same breath.
    He ruled by fear, huh?

Bush was a fucking failure, but he at least was smart enough to benefit his own rich friends and oil interests, as well as keeping the peons properly AFRAID.
    Were you afraid?

Bush was re-elected via ruling by fear, which Obama has not done, so that is why he was re-elected
    I predict Obama will not get re-elected.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    He ruled by fear, huh?

Were you afraid?
    Yes, he did rule by fear, absolutely. While I agree that *something* needed to be done in the wake of 9/11 he kept leaning on the "terr!" crutch and the Patriot Act so much that even his own party began to turn against him. It was absolutely corrupt the way he kept playing that card, because to a degree the need for security was clearly valid (I am not a pacifist) but yes he talked about "terr!" so much and people were so INTO THE WAR IN AFGHANISTAN that they failed to notice what was happening when he de-regulated big business and legalized unconstitutional snooping.

Yes, I was afraid if he was president for one second longer that we'd get kicked out of the U.N., bombed by a foreign interest, or simply go under some kind of weird martial law.

But no, not afraid in the way his presidential cabinet intended for me to be.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything particularly good to say about either's terms as president.

Bush seemed to have been surrounded by more competent people who used their sway to push through far-reaching intelligence legislation that doesn't have any visible benefit to anyone. Opposition was quashed by wrapping himself in the flag and decrying dissidents as "hating America". Nothing good has come from Bush's time.

Obama is outwardly much more charismatic and seemingly much more competent in the public eye but he was voted in on a shaky platform of reform that so far hasn't produced anything meaningful. I'm not entirely familiar with 'Obamacare' but there are many provisions, particularly extra taxes on higher-end insurance plans and fines for not having insurance, that probably won't fly. I bet by the time the bulk of the measures in the Act are to come into effect in 2014 many will have been overturned in the courts.

Obama inherited an economic mess and hasn't done anything of note to fix it. If anything it seems the US government is digging itself a bigger hole. All the "hope and change" he was elected on has dried up. Obama seems to want to please everyone but because of the compromises that have been made no one is happy. My personal belief is that Obama was elected solely because people wanted to elect a "feel-good" candidate, even those his policies were flimsy at best. Although I wouldn't have voted for the McCain/Palin ticket either.

I think Obama stands a very good chance of not being re-elected because his promises of reform were never really carried out. Nothing has appreciably changed for the better, save perhaps some brownie points for not seeming as douche-y on the international stage.

Obama is this generation's Jimmy Carter. By all accounts a "nice guy", but not a well-liked or well-remembered president.

I like anyone who creates a programme like Obama's full employment one at the minute, although I do believe that he's trying hard to expose the Utopian intransigence of republicans and other capitalist radicals in doing so.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Bush knew how to lead people, he just led us in a poor direction for the most part. Deregulation led to economic stability...the rich got a lot richer and the middle class got poorer, and wars were mishandled--wars that were may not have ever been justified.

Obama doesn't know how to lead people, although he might know what direction to lead us in. He's smarter and has a better vision of what the US and world should look like, but he lacks the confidence to pull people--even his own party--behind him. His political history shows a lot of hesitation and poor negotiation strategies. He wants to be liked.

I supported Bush being reelected based not on fear, but on humor. Politics is too ridiculous to place a cloak of logic on. It's like interviewing used car salespeople to decide who your parents will be.

Really though, I'd prefer that George H. W. Bush were still President simply based on Dana Carvey's hilarious impersonations.

But then, we see that the real question is not George Bush or Barack Obama, but Dana Carvey or Will Ferrell?

MBTI
    ENTP

With the exception of Health Care how do these two differ again?
    +10% Crit Chance

A window to the soul

Yes, he did rule by fear, absolutely. While I agree that *something* needed to be done in the wake of 9/11 he kept leaning on the "terr!" crutch and the Patriot Act so much that even his own party began to turn against him. It was absolutely corrupt the way he kept playing that card, because to a degree the need for security was clearly valid (I am not a pacifist) but yes he talked about "terr!" so much and people were so INTO THE WAR IN AFGHANISTAN that they failed to notice what was happening when he de-regulated big business and legalized unconstitutional snooping.

Yes, I was afraid if he was president for one second longer that we'd get kicked out of the U.N., bombed by a foreign interest, or simply go under some kind of weird martial law.

But no, not afraid in the way his presidential cabinet intended for me to be.
    Bush was not the brightest crayon in the box, but compared to Obama, Bush is George Washington II the Great. Specifically, what has Obama done to deserve our vote in the next election?

Remember, thousands of people didn't initially die at the hands of Bush, "the fearful president." The fact is, prior to 9/11, we had no realistic fear of the threats among us. Of course, fear began its natural course when Islamic militant assholes crossed the line. It was unprecedented. Americans demanded justice and preventative measures. Bush attempted to answer the call. That's his legacy.