User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

I'd just gotten out of elementary and our teacher had the television on; we all thought it was a tv show and I remember cheering for more planes to crash into buildings.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Was anyone in NY, Pennsylvania, etc for any of the commemorative events?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Was anyone in NY, Pennsylvania, etc for any of the commemorative events?
    No... not yesterday.
    I was to the Shanksville Memorial with my kids back in 2006-2007 or so, though. It's probably about 60-90 minutes from where we lived.

We couldn't get to the actual crash area, they set up a memorial site across the field. We had to take this beat-up road, off the beaten path, away from the macadam, what just looked like a dirty and gravel drive stretching off across the field that looked like it would just end up in someone's farmstead. we had to drive most of a mile to reach the site.

I think there were little markers and then benches for all the people who died on Flight 93. More amazing though was just this 20-30 ft mesh wall, taller than me, that was festooned with all sorts of decorations -- pictures, cards, little knicknacks, shirts, hats, things people sent after writing on them. Apparently they had a huge warehouse full of them -- when they got too many for the wall, they'd remove and bag prior items and send them off to the warehouse, and hang up the new items.

We got there late in the evening, maybe an hour before sunset, and there was a whole congregation of Harley guys, bikers, milling about. Must have been 50-60 of them. Apparently they were part of the annual tour where they would motorbike between all the crash sites. It was amazing. And when they all kicked on their bikes at once, to leave? The rumble shook the air and a river of bikers just kicked up dust as they slowly disappeared over the crest of the hill amid the golden grasses as the sun continued to sink and darken. I wondered what it sounded like that day, when the plane had still been in the air.

Then it was just the growing dusk and the sound of the wind rolling across the field. There was a hushed reverence there, people I had never seen before in my life and never would see again, but we were all this connected by this.... thing. This one day in time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I was on a subway train, bound for the WTC.

Permabanned

I was in Eldoret, Kenya. I was watching the late afternoon cartoon shows that came on every weekday, something I did each day after coming home from school. (Ghost busters and Samurai X). I remember attempting to sit through the breaking news hoping for my shows to come back on, not realizing that the news would be all that would be on T.V for the next couple of weeks.

In the aftermath, I remember thinking that it was being overhyped. In my mind, some people died, or were killed, and the world was going nuts because of it. I didn't understand why I should care, or care anymore than the those who had been killed before or since. Yes, it was sad, but on the whole, I thought it was to be expected. I remember relating it to playground issues. You have the school bully, who would kick your ass for no reason, and you had those who were on the verge of taking a swing at the bully. America, the bully, just got "tested"..so all it had to do is reassert it's dominance. It wasn't that big of a deal, these things happen, you move on.

I also wondered why someone would want to do something like that. Was he insane? Was he evil? Surely he knew he couldn't take on America by himself? Was he just an idiot? Did he expect death? Probably, he was hiding...

It took me awhile, I think, to realize that he probably did it primarily because he wanted us, the people who were growing up and forming "opinions and mindsets" at the time, to ask ourselves these questions. Unfortunately, or fortunately (I honestly, don't know anymore...) it worked at least some. The real question is how well it worked.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I was living on a military base. I was in kindergarden, or first grade, I think.

Despite that, I remember being terrified. Most of the kids were smart enough to realize that an attack like that meant war, and war meant our fathers had a damn good chance of being deployed. I was one of the lucky ones. I knew people whose fathers never came back, and the ones that left and came back, came back changed.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INFP

I have no recollection where I was when 9/11 occured, but I remember being not suprised at all that this would occur. I had some understanding of Clinton's foreign policy and it's effect.
    I was however suprised about the governments response later, "they hate us for our freedoms, better take those freedoms away(pariot act amongst things)", and that the buildings fell simularly to controlled demolition which raised skeptisim in me.

What primarely changed for me was how I viewed governments and mass media

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    I have no recollection where I was when 9/11 occured, but I remember being not suprised at all that this would occur. I had some understanding of Clinton's foreign policy and it's effect.
    I was however suprised about the governments response later, "they hate us for our freedoms, better take those freedoms away(pariot act amongst things)", and that the buildings fell simularly to controlled demolition which raised skeptisim in me.

What primarely changed for me was how I viewed governments and mass media
    Please don't start with that 'controlled demo' nonsense.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Please don't start with that 'controlled demo' nonsense.
    I didn't, though it looked like it so I started researching. I had watched a documentary about building demolitions a few weeks before, which is why I found it odd it went straight down instead of buckling at the weakened part from the impact.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    It took me awhile, I think, to realize that he probably did it primarily because he wanted us, the people who were growing up and forming "opinions and mindsets" at the time, to ask ourselves these questions. Unfortunately, or fortunately (I honestly, don't know anymore...) it worked at least some. The real question is how well it worked.
    I didn't really see his desires as so innocuous or noble, based on what info I've seen about him over the years.
    It's not like he's John Cramer in "Saw," you know.

The motivation you describe sounds impersonal and academic, but this was anything but impersonal. I do think it was aimed partly at destroying the powerful symbolism of the culture (capitalism), which he loathed and had abandoned years before; if he just wanted to kill lots and lots of people, he should have crashed into the nuclear reactors in NY state. but the Towers were more important a symbol...

Or they were assuming a lot more than 3000 people would die, considering how many people could fit into those buildings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft