User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Romney:
    He made a lot of good points, and did a really good job of looking like the adult in the room. To be honest, the only people who looked like they deserved a seat at the grown ups table were Romney and Huntsman (and maybe Santorum). Romney did a good, maybe great, job of differentiating himself and his positions from those of the other candidates. One of his strongest moments came when asked the same question about immigration right after Perry. He went so far as to move beyond the symptoms and problems created by unimpeded illegal immigration, and discussed (in some depth for such a brief debate) the base causes of this type of population flow. He mentioned specifically the ongoing love affair between employers and unskilled immigrant labor. A point that has been more picked up on publicly, was Romney's willingness to attack Perry. Prior to the debate Romeny's willingness to go on the offensive has long been discussed. Also, his plan of attack seems to be well calibrated, in so far as he knows where Perry is weak (social security) and willing to go after that weakness. All in all his responses seemed well thought out and reasoned (yet still aggressive) where Perry's were from the hip, and Huntsmans were congenial to the point of being non-partisan.

Final Points:
    Romney won the debate. But he did so mostly by not losing. Much like the matador stepping out of the bull's path, he let Perry impale himself on his ideology. Hopefully *crosses fingers* this victory wont end up being pyrrhic. If we wants to lead, he's going to need to continue (and improve on) his current plan of going on the offensive.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Other Candidates:

Huntsman did a really good job of having thought out answers, but needed to go on the offensive, or at least try and say something headline worthy. If this was a beauty pageant, he would have won the miss congeniality award. Which is nice, but less than helpful when trying to run for president.

Bachman hardly got any airtime. She has become an "also ran" even among also rans.

Ron Paul got the "craziest guy onstage" award with his comment about his worries concerning Americans being trapped "in" by the border fence.

Santorum had a pretty good showing and his numbers might improve, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for even a second place finish out of him.

Herman Cain might as well have said "I'M HERMAN CAIN AND I LIKE TALKING POINTS".

Newt Gingrich seemed to be most comfortable on the stage. He also played well to the crowd and came across as the funniest guy in the room, but none of these things really count towards being a good candidate or even a good president. His answers were all in broad strokes, and seemed to lack the detail one would expect from a presidential candidate.

Fingers are officially tired now.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Perry:
    He opened strong and got a few good hits in on Romney. He has a definite presence and I can see how people like him (though don't agree with this decision). As the debate went on it became more and more apparent that Perry was out of his depth as far as policy points are concerned. As one FrumForum Commenter aptly put is: "It's as if Perry was a high school jock that wandered into debate team practice..." For me, the most telling moment for Perry was his inability to respond in any articulate fashion to a question on immigration. A question which, with him being the Tx governor, should be easy homerun material. Then there was his description of Soc. Sec. as a Ponzi scheme. All in all in my mind, his performance was not impressive.
    You're right. Also, I think Perry mentioned Texas one too many times with some pretty weak points. For example, the job growth rate in Texas, which Romney attributed to the oil and gas industry [probably not what Perry was going for]. Twas blunder!

Here's the quote:

"States are different. Texas is a great state. Texas has zero income tax. Texas has a right to work state, a Republican Legislature, a Republican Supreme Court. Texas has a lot of oil and gas in the ground," Romney said. "Those are wonderful things, but Governor Perry doesn't believe that he created those things."

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    He was still a compassionate conservative. You just had to realize that "compassionate" always meant "big spending."
    Oh... Right.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Twas blunder!

Here's the quote:

"States are different. Texas is a great state. Texas has zero income tax. Texas has a right to work state, a Republican Legislature, a Republican Supreme Court. Texas has a lot of oil and gas in the ground," Romney said. "Those are wonderful things, but Governor Perry doesn't believe that he created those things."
    Very good point. I agree entirely.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Swing and a miss Spamtar.I wanted to nip that comparison (one which many of you seem to be making) in the bud.
    It sounds more like you are smoking the bud than nipping it.

What numskull actually believes that George W. Bush was a "Compassionate Conservative"? Not the natural disaster victims in New Orleans, torture victims or paraplegic children he dropped bombs on (or the Americans who had to put up with his smirk, lies, puffery and countless other Bushisms. Perry sees like a chip off the old blockhead)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

And you've now demonstrated why it would be a waste of my time to respond.

You've clearly already made up your mind about both this subject and me.

I'll leave you to your thoughts.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    It sounds more like you are smoking the bud than nipping it.

What numskull actually believes that George W. Bush was a "Compassionate Conservative"? Not the natural disaster victims in New Orleans, torture victims or paraplegic children he dropped bombs on (or the Americans who had to put up with his smirk, lies, puffery and countless other Bushisms. Perry sees like a chip off the old blockhead)
    This isn't about your impression of him, it's about how Bush perceives himself. I come from the culture he's part of; and I think he sincerely believed himself to be both. Of course, I have an issue with labeling him as compassionate because I don't think his policies were compassionate in the way I consider to be compassionate, but I don't really have doubts about his self-perception here or that he personally happened to be sincere about (even though it's clear some of those around him used it as just another card to play).

I think it's pretty telling as soon as he got out of office, he made himself scarce. I think he considered the presidency, once he was there, more of a duty than as an exercise in power, and once he was relieved of that duty, he was happy to get away from it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I wish Ron Paul had a chance, but I know he doesn't.
    Fucking hate politics. So limiting and full-of-bullshit.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INFP

S

I hate to rag on the same person twice (spam), but Ron Paul didn't even look like he deserved to be on the stage with them last night. He came off as a strange, done little man. I'll believe an MSNBC poll on who won a GOP debate about as soon as I'll let a blind man describe the color red to me.
    I'de hate to rag on you, however then I don't think you were hearing what he said. The problem with Paul is one needs an understanding of what government actually does opposed to what people think it does, to understand his positions.
    Unless you were talking about Paul's off the cuff speaking compared to rehearsed talking points of the other candidates.