Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    eh, i really doubt that it would make a difference. i don't know any 18-20 year olds who want to drink that are sitting around waiting for their 21st birthday because they can't figure out another way to buy booze.
    I know at least 50 (not exaggerating). and yes, they have other ways of getting booze, but they can't just do it whenever they want. it's more complicated and they have to plan it out in advance (which they're too lazy to do most of the time lol)
    I wouldn't mind if they overturned it overnight as opposed to gradually, I just wouldn't drive anywhere for a month lol
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP

rewording some things like the interstate commerce clause, so it cannot be abused. etc

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I am for all of these, except realistically I don't think it would be a good idea to do the first in one fell swoop. the resulting back lash would be millions of 18-20 year olds rushing to the liquor stores and getting as wasted as possible. you would see drunk driving accidents quadruple in a single day. I would slowly lower it down to 16 or 17, ideally getting rid of it completely eventually
    I disagree with you for the following reasons:

1) The kids most likely to engage in underaged binge drinking, drink already. They are not suddenly going to start drinking more because it is legal. It would most likely be the reverse as the taboo had been removed.

2) Kids that don't drink and might be tempted to do so irresponsibly still have parents. Even if the drinking age is lowered/removed overnight, cultural norms will not. A parent will have a lot of say over whether a kid living at home drinks and to what extent.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    1) Taxing income is market-distorting and discourages growth
    How substantial that market distortion is is debatable. A consumption based tax would off-set this, but still wouldn't bring in as much revenue as an income tax (assuming tax rates are the same).

2) Scotching the income tax could help to constrain the federal government due to less revenue flowing in
    Why would this be a desirable outcome?

3) In practice, income tax codes always suffer from loopholes, oddball deductions, "tax expenditures" and so on
    Then the answer is reform of existing tax laws, not overturning income taxes altogether.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

1. Equal rights amendment, to include sexual orientation, which would settle the restrictive marriage/household issue as well.

2. Abolish federal income tax and institute a system by which the Federal Government taxes the states in proportion to factors like wealth/resources, per-capita income, long-term or special needs (e.g. Katrina in the case of Louisiana). Each state can make up its tax contribution as it sees fit.

3. Explicitly break the link between speech and money which was unfortunately forged by the Supreme Court in recent years in striking down campaign finance limitations. If speech=money, then the wealthy have more right to free speech than the rest of us, which doesn't sound like the intent of the framers at all, and is no way to run a democracy.

4. FInally provide a clearly defined right to privacy, which includes the stipulation that each person owns unequivocally all of their personal information.

5. Require a higher level of standardization across the states for rights and responsibilities, while allowing flexibility in implementation. Society is too mobile for people to have to navigate a patchwork of 50 sets of state laws on everything from motor vehicles to marriage to medicine when they move to take a job, go to school, etc.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Term limits anyone?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I agree with the drinking age.. from 16 on, slow emersion into alcohol would be better than "Hey kid! Go crazy now!" Limitations on the proof, number sold, etc would rock. They could do it the same way they do the WIC service cards where it gets set up a certain way. If parents don't want their kids to drink, take away the card and they can't buy it without it. If they are allowed, they'll be limited in their purchases with or without parents there. Simple, and the card will update with the birthdays until 21 when it's unnecessary anymore.
    I think 18 year olds should be allowed to buy alcohol all they want if they've served in the armed forces.

An equal opportunity amendment that includes Everything. Sex, Religion, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabilities, etc.

I also agree highly with the campaign limits.

I also think that emergency hospital care and health care for children should be free. I don't know if everything will ever be free in America, but those two to me stand out. Someone shouldn't be scared of fixing a broken bone because of money.. and parents shouldn't be saying the things my sister is saying, "Don't let him walk on the cement. If he falls and hurts himself, I don't have him insured yet.."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh my:
    • Gas prices shall not exceed $1.00 per gallon.
    • Marriage shall be strictly a religious affair, not government.
    • The official language of the United States of America shall be English.
    • Spanish shall not be taught in American schools.
    • Illegal immigrants shall be shot on sight.
    • Jews shall not be allowed to hold positions in US government.
    • The legal age for alcohol consumption shall be 16 years of age.
    • The legal age to operate a motor vehicle shall be 21 years of age.
    • No person shall operate a motor vehicle after 65 years of age.
    • The legal age of sexual consent shall be 12 years of age nationwide.

Oh yes, change is coming...

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Oh my:
    • Gas prices shall not exceed $1.00 per gallon.
    • Marriage shall be strictly a religious affair, not government.
    • The official language of the United States of America shall be English.
    • Spanish shall not be taught in American schools.
    • Illegal immigrants shall be shot on sight.
    • Jews shall not be allowed to hold positions in US government.
    • The legal age of alcohol consumption shall be 16 years of age.
    • The legal age to operate a motor vehicle shall be 21 years of age.
    • People shall not operate a motor vehicle after 65 years of age.
    • The legal age of sexual consent shall be 12 years of age nationwide.

Oh yes, change is coming...
    Do you know how many countries are bilingual? If you ask me, America needs to step it up already and start teaching our kids multiple languages like its no big deal.

I agree with gas though.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Do you know how many countries are bilingual? If you ask me, America needs to step it up already and start teaching our kids multiple languages like its no big deal.
    I didn't say anything about teaching multiple languages -- well, except for Spanish -- I just said that English should -- excuse me, shall -- be an official language.