User Tag List

First 4567 Last

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by inkpendoe View Post

agreed, better yet birth control should be placed in the water system, or at least kitten food... let's control one population right.
    Idk, BC makes me kind of crazy. Can you imagine some women....with more hormones? For the kittens, I am picturing pet cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    the purpose of the government is to dictate people not committing crimes against each other and to uphold agreements. other than that, the government should not be dictating the behavior of grown, mature adults like they're children.
    Kids aren't adults

Especially who this law applies to... if you want to complain, get out of the state enforcing that law.

MBTI
    INTJ

the purpose of the government is to dictate people not committing crimes against each other and to uphold agreements. other than that, the government should not be dictating the behavior of grown, mature adults like they're children.
    That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

In my view, the state is not some detached entity with its own will as separate from society; it is the executor of social morality within a formal, non-barbarous context. Granted, our government is far from beholden to true democracy, but it is nevertheless the functional expression of a deliberative body, which is presumably rooted in the consent of the governed.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

In my view, the state is not some detached entity with its own will as separate from society; it is the executor of social morality within a formal, non-barbarous context. Granted, our government is far from beholden to true democracy, but it is nevertheless the functional expression of a deliberative body, which is presumably rooted in the consent of the governed.
    and who gives this magical "authority" to the government? don't you think people should be allowed to do what they want and not have some nosy government bureaucrat in their business? we have rights because we are human, not because the government gives us "privileges"
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

and who gives this magical "authority" to the government? don't you think people should be allowed to do what they want and not have some nosy government bureaucrat in their business? we have rights because we are human, not because the government gives us "privileges"
    It's not magical that they run the public school system, and pave your roads, and pay your police, and your fire department (did you see the hur dur dur guy whose house burned down because he didn't want to pay his taxes outside of city limits? AWESOME! Libertarianism is AWESOME!)

But yeah, you don't like it, go to a private school, where the dress code will be EVEN STRICTER!!!!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Idk, BC makes me kind of crazy. Can you imagine some women....with more hormones? For the kittens, I am picturing pet cemetery.
    Yeah hormonal birth control is bad for me. Depo caused constant spotting and weight gain, and the pill worsened depression and I even had to go to the emergency room because I started retaining water all over my body in a condition that is usually only seen in pregnant women, where I was administered a diuretic....as well as a pregnancy test. They acted shocked that I really wasn't pregnant and that synthetic hormones had caused it.

I hate the fucking pill. Fuck that shit.

MBTI
    INTJ

and who gives this magical "authority" to the government?
    Government derives its authority from the consent of the governed. This is a rather old concept in political theory.

don't you think people should be allowed to do what they want and not have some nosy government bureaucrat in their business?
    Not really. I am willing to sacrifice some degree of freedom on my part in order to secure a safe, efficient, and decent society.

we have rights because we are human, not because the government gives us "privileges"
    I reject the notion of "natural rights." Whatever "rights" we possess as individuals are exactly those that we are granted within a social context. As social animals, humans cluster into groups, and all of us owe our well-being to the productive efforts of others; therefore, it would stand to reason that the organization of the state should serve as an effective medium by which to deliberate and execute social decisions. Since our individual welfare is quite literally shaped and influenced by our direct and indirect interactions with others, I find your appeals to individual sovereignty to be groundless.

The idea that humans are little more than individual units who maneuver autonomously in pursuit of their "rational self-interest" is absurd and, quite frankly, pernicious.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Government derives its authority from the consent of the governed. This is a rather old concept in political theory.

Not really. I am willing to sacrifice some degree of freedom on my part in order to secure a safe, efficient, and decent society.

I reject the notion of "natural rights." Whatever "rights" we possess as individuals are exactly those that we are granted within a social context. As social animals, humans cluster into groups, and all of us owe our well-being to the productive efforts of others; therefore, it would stand to reason that the organization of the state should serve as an effective medium by which to deliberate and execute social decisions. Since our individual welfare is quite literally shaped and influenced by our direct and indirect interactions with others, I find your appeals to individual sovereignty to be groundless.

The idea that humans are little more than individual units who maneuver autonomously in pursuit of their "rational self-interest" is absurd and, quite frankly, pernicious
    I agree. It's like an utter denial of reality.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't know you if you guys have realized this, but the enlightenment started like 500 years ago. without even agreeing that people deserve to be free and treated with inherent respect, I don't believe debating with you would be possible
    all I can say is, have fun when america goes fascist and you become slaves, stripped of all freedom and dignity, cuz I'll be gone
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes people deserve to be treated with inherent respect, which is why we have things like the civil rights act (which Ron Paul wants to do away with) and want universal health care so that half of the nation isn't without health insurance and waiting in emergency rooms behind 60 people with a broken arm.

Grrr.