User Tag List

First 123

Thread: The CIA

MBTI
    ESFJ

MK ULTRA was totally out of control. I am concerned about what is going on nowadays. The same way that almost everything used to be excused in the fight against communism, many people now excuse almost everything in the fight against terrorism. And the Soviet Union was a much bigger threat, too. I'm pretty sure al-Qaeda doesn't have operatives at the highest levels of the State Department, influencing policy.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    MK ULTRA was totally out of control. I am concerned about what is going on nowadays. The same way that almost everything used to be excused in the fight against communism, many people now excuse almost everything in the fight against terrorism. And the Soviet Union was a much bigger threat, too. I'm pretty sure al-Qaeda doesn't have operatives at the highest levels of the State Department, influencing policy.
    Ah but now they have more oversights... sorry oversight committee.. I keep forgetting there's a huge difference
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm going to start ranting about them if I'm not careful. Another good website for the documents is here.

As Whatever said, the CIA definitely had something to do with Chile, which culminated in Operation Condor (which was not just about Chile, but also Argentina and Uruguay). Interestingly, in the documents, which rather clearly show the US's interference, they call a number of left-wing reporters and politicians "terrorists". I find this particularly frightening actually, as it parallels a fair bit to current events. Without any objective statistics (a plain and preferably numerical summery) it is very hard to understand what they are talking about. However, put in context, it's meaning is changed almost entirely. But they've not released many documents, and they've blacked out large portions of what they have released.

Also, as the longer timeline tells, the CIA apparently does not keep very good records anymore, not that it's easy to determine, given that no one knows quite what they are doing until a few decades later.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce