User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Generally, nobody is responsible for any black man that goes to jail except that black man. Same goes for everyone else.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I agree. Drug laws in the U.S. are archaic and we desperately need reform. Much like Australia, we need to reform our "justice" system so that our non-white citizens aren't convicted at such high rates for crimes that shouldn't be crimes at all.

2.4 % of Americans cannot vote due to convictions, while 8.3% of blacks are disenfranchised. That's a high number, but a majority of the disenfranchised are not black. I wouldn't equate disenfranchisement with slavery, or more specifically, slavery of black men.
    Unlike America non-caucasians are not disproportionately represented in Australian prisons.

*sigh*
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

I strongly believe in our justice system and the people the preside and enforce it. they are perfect as they are

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ildren-up.html

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Generally, nobody is responsible for any black man that goes to jail except that black man. Same goes for everyone else.
    beef, are you black?

(that was easy)

No.

But, This guy is...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony Bradley
    Every black person apprehended for robbing stores in a flash mob should have their court hearing not in front of a judge but facing the 30-foot statue of Martin Luther King Jr. at his Washington memorial site.
    Each thief should be asked, "What do you think Dr. King would say to you right now?"
    I was not angry when I initially saw the news footage of young blacks robbing convenience stores across America; I was brought to tears.

King's dream was one that harmonized morality and law. However, King's dream will never be realized in America as long as this country continues with the mythology that freedom does not require personal integrity and character.

Proponents of sociological and psychological theories allege that these mobs loot stores because minority youth feel disenfranchised and marginalized from mainstream society. What King taught us is that political and social frustration does not justify breaking the law.

Perhaps if these disenfranchised youth where familiar at all with life under Jim Crow, or cared about the legacy of civil rights heroes like Thurgood Marshall, Rosa Parks, Rep. John Lewis, Andrew Young and others, they could tap into the imagination of an heroic generation, formed by the virtues of religion, who pursued public justice by pursuing public virtue.

From Dr. Anthoney Bradley's editorial in The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110830/...#ixzz1X2erxEEY

Side note: I think Dr. Bradley's personal story is quite compelling. Not only is he one of the few african-americans who know precisely which plantation his ancestors were enslaved on, but his family has actually turned around and bought that very plantation. I would say he knows a few things about what it takes to overcome evil.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    No.
    I Love love love the idea of people being responsible for themselves and only through the consequence of their actions, they are punished or rewarded. they are the only thing which their fate rest but reality is separate from ideals, and reality is separate from other realities that other individuals live. to a degree, color of skin bares +/- influence to success, where the doors of opportunity open wide, or slam shut. you will be profiles as a criminal or be trusted by a nice little old lady to watch her purse while she uses the restroom. if you will be perceived as being professional or capable of being professional or not. looking at some old news clippings, I guess it also determines if you will be wrongly accused put to death, or lose 40 years of your life and be exonerated but after you are dead, LOL or receive an apology letter for the loss of your 40 years of your life?

I think you will find this still in agreement with quoted article

Laws that imprison marijuana users while protecting alcohol and tobacco users are inconsistent, based only on tradition and I find them repulsive. It's not about personal responsibility at all, it's about governments that don't treat recreational drugs equally and then punishes users of some drugs by stripping them of their civil duties and causing recidivism among citizens who otherwise obey most laws. One who refuses to obey these kinds of laws is a better citizen than one who blindly follows.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Australia is first and foremost a polity - a liberal democratic polity. And we have discovered that once we get the politics right, most other things follow along naturally.

And naturallly we regard liberal democracy to be a public duty. So all Australians are on the electoral role and are encouraged to vote. And almost all Australians do vote on polling day - rich and poor, educated and uneducated, young and old, female and male, from every ethnic background on Earth.

So we are suprised to see the USA operates a gerrymander.

A gerrymander where, by Australian standards, only a minority of citizens vote.

The reason only a minority of Americans vote is traceable back to the bourgeois revolution of 1776 where the owners overthrew lawful authority in a violent eight year war.

It's so obvious that the owners own America, they operate a gerrymander, and the poor don't even get to vote.
    Fancy explaining to our American gerrymanders what  Bjelkemander is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.