User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Ok, so we've got inappropriate use of the "anarcho-capitalist + libertarian" label but no one's jumped on the repeated use of "democracy" in describing our form of government. *tsk tsk*
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Did I say that?

All I was saying is that it's in a group's best interest if those who would vote against them don't come out.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but your ability to understand what I'm saying is lacking. I literally meant the words I said, to extrapolate my personal position on the subject beyond what I had said makes no sense. I was just stating the interests involved.

I'm personally a big proponent of voter education.

I think you should sit the next few plays out.
    lol no....fat chance, bro

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Ok, so we've got inappropriate use of the "anarcho-capitalist + libertarian" label but no one's jumped on the repeated use of "democracy" in describing our form of government. *tsk tsk*
    Well, our country is a federal constitutional republic, of course. Strictly speaking, it is not a democracy. By political science terminology, it counts as a liberal democracy, however.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Well, our country is a federal constitutional republic, of course. Strictly speaking, it is not a democracy. By political science terminology, it counts as a liberal democracy, however.
    Most people don't seem to know this.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Most people don't seem to know this.
    Most people don't know a lot of things.

Where politics are concerned, most people don't know enough to tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    "Keeping people home" is not the answer. Educating people and allowing them to choose and vote is the answer.
    Wrong.

Virtue is much more needed than education.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

American Gerrymander

Australia is first and foremost a polity - a liberal democratic polity. And we have discovered that once we get the politics right, most other things follow along naturally.

And naturallly we regard liberal democracy to be a public duty. So all Australians are on the electoral role and are encouraged to vote. And almost all Australians do vote on polling day - rich and poor, educated and uneducated, young and old, female and male, from every ethnic background on Earth.

So we are suprised to see the USA operates a gerrymander.

A gerrymander where, by Australian standards, only a minority of citizens vote.

The reason only a minority of Americans vote is traceable back to the bourgeois revolution of 1776 where the owners overthrew lawful authority in a violent eight year war.

It's so obvious that the owners own America, they operate a gerrymander, and the poor don't even get to vote.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

It's so obvious that the owners own America, they operate a gerrymander, and the poor don't even get to vote.
    My French friends had a heightened awareness of this as well.

The only disenfranchised group in the USA that I'm aware of are felons. Hopefully that will be corrected in the coming years. Oh...and minors. What else? Not blacks, not the poor...no one forces them to stay home on election day, no one prevents them from registering, no one turns them away from the polls for any reason, unless they lack identification, of course. Any more conspiracy theories to explain away apathy and lack of civil responsibility among the non-voting class?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Wrong.

Virtue is much more needed than education.
    Isn't virtue frequently taught?