User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Rep. Andre Carson: Tea Partiers in Congress Want to See Blacks "Hanging on a Tree"

This guy is a real asshole. If congressional Democratic leaders have any desire to retake the House in 2012, they should get some of their less reasonable colleagues under control and fast.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...142624474.html
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

It seems to be a severe lack of tact. The same with other leaders, such as Sharpton, Jackson, the NAACP, etc. The conservatives usually retort that these people are just trying to maintain their relevance in the modern political landscape, and I find I have to largely agree with them.

The problem starts, because people sense some questionable motives in the whole conservative movement, now most embodied in the Tea Party. The problem I have seen over the last 30 years is a tendency to blame (subtly or sometimes not so subtly) minorities for high taxes, supposedly for "welfare" programs. Like Reagan's "you're on line and someone walks ahead of you and buys steaks with food stamps while you struggle" or "Chicken Little" rhetoric.

While it may have been abused a lot, it still was never the percentage of taxes people made it out to be, and even more than that, 15 years ago, it was reformed, when AFDC became TANF, and the number of recipients dropped to a quarter of what it was. Complaints about "welfare spending" subsided a bit, but still surface during presidential elections, or any time people want to complain about spending and taxes.

Also, there's blame for other stuff like crime, and the War on Drugs (started by Reagan), which is seen as discriminatory.

It seems the people who purport to defend against racism have been completely silent on stuff like this, while pointing out 'racism' in everything else. Like the uproar over the Mexican president claiming blacks don't want the jobs that Mexican immigrants take. Not nearly as offensive (or untrue) as some of the other stuff coming out of the conservative media ("lazy grasshoppers", etc), yet that is what was sharply condemned.

So I would say that if this person and others are addressing a particular concern regarding the Tea Party, (like if they feel they're still wrongly blaming minorities for things), then they should specify the concern. Or just keep it to themselves.

Generalistic statements like this are never understood, and only fuel the counter-rhetoric of those who are on the defensive against such charges. (Like that people are just "whining" about the past, and perhaps using an illegitimate cause to manipulate guilt, and to perhaps gain programs, or votes they really shouldn't have! See how it gets turned back around to support the initial rhetoric?)
    So tell us what exactly the party is doing that makes you say that. If there's no specific incident or ideology, then just drop it, at least until something does manifest somewhere.
    Last edited by Eric B; 09-01-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, that comment was definitely inappropriate. But the Republicans need to get some of their "less reasonable colleagues" (Michele Bachman comes to mind, as well as other Tea Partiers...) under control as well.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Yes, that comment was definitely inappropriate. But the Republicans need to get some of their "less reasonable colleagues" (Michele Bachman comes to mind, as well as other Tea Partiers...) under control as well.
    Don't know if that's true, honestly. The percentage of Republican voters who respond positively to Michele Bachmann in particular and the Tea Party in general is much higher than the percentage of Democratic voters who would respond positively to this type of rhetoric. Black voters make up maybe 20-25% of the Democratic Party nationwide, and I would imagine most of them would not be in agreement with Carson regarding these comments (I would hope they would be, anyway). I would hope they could tell the difference between a substantive explanation of what Tea Partiers believe vs. what the Congressional Black Caucus believes and this type of gross demagoguery.

And, knowing a thing or two about the Tea Party and related groups (I was at the Ron Paul rally in Philadelphia in 2007), I would hazard a guess that more rank-and-file Tea Partiers would have a bigger problem with Carson because he is a convert to Islam rather than a black man.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Here's the same story at politico: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/62396.html

MBTI
    ESFJ

The spokesman's comments make up one of the lamest examples of spin I've seen in years.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The percentage of Republican voters who respond positively to Michele Bachmann in particular and the Tea Party in general is much higher than the percentage of Democratic voters who would respond positively to this type of rhetoric.
    That is true, but they still need to get her under control. Not for election purposes, just in general.

My blog:

MBTI
    ESFJ

That is true, but they still need to get her under control. Not for election purposes, just in general.
    She is surprisingly popular, though. Why should they tame someone who is animating the base at the moment? The purpose of political parties is to get elected. Period.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    She is surprisingly popular, though. Why should they tame someone who is animating the base at the moment? The purpose of political parties is to get elected. Period.
    Just because she's obnoxious and rude. If she's popular with a few people, she is incredibly UNpopular with others. Alienating the more moderate voters/members of the party. Not that I care, mind you -- I'd love to see the Republic party divided and conquered, but I'd still like to stop seeing Bachmann on the news and hearing all of the insanity she spews out into the world.

My blog:

MBTI
    ESFJ

Just because she's obnoxious and rude. If she's popular with a few people, she is incredibly UNpopular with others. Alienating the more moderate voters/members of the party. Not that I care, mind you -- I'd love to see the Republic party divided and conquered, but I'd still like to stop seeing Bachmann on the news and hearing all of the insanity she spews out into the world.
    It's not "a few people," though. She's doing incredibly well in the early stage of the presidential nomination process. I highly doubt she will win, but there is no real incentive to try to drown her out. The GOP is making the right move by trying to co-opt the Tea Party, rather than ignoring them. How many politicians in DC are NOT obnoxious? I think a lot of what Bachmann believes is stupid, but there are far more obnoxious personalities on the contemporary political scene.