User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Hit View Post
    There is a study which I cant quite find right now which polled very large portions of the population on what was the most important to them politically.

This makes it easy to look at a list of tea partiers and see what names from the study show up and what was apparently most important to them a few years ago. Very few if any said "smaller government" and the number one thing was the place of God in the government.

(found it) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/op...arty.html?_r=2
    (Found another one) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100501491.html

The Tea Party is mostly just social conservatives collecting around the banner of so called "libretarianism".
    The methodology on the first one is extremely flawed. As I read it, they didn't ask what was the most important issue to CURRENT Tea Partiers. In 2006, they asked what was most important of people who later turned out to be Tea Partiers. Clearly, many people who were regular socially conservative Republicans five years ago have become more concerned with economic matters after the recession, TARP, stimulus, and debt crisis. And most Tea Partiers wouldn't call themselves libertarians anyway. They are social conservatives who have gotten hip to fiscal conservativism late to the game. They will probably forget about it later, of course. Hopefully, some things get achieved, and the furor doesn't die with the Obama Administration. And I hope they let the percentage who are actual libertarians and constitutionalists have a say.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The methodology on the first one is extremely flawed. As I read it, they didn't ask what was the most important issue to CURRENT Tea Partiers. In 2006, they asked what was most important of people who later turned out to be Tea Partiers. Clearly, many people who were regular socially conservative Republicans five years ago have become more concerned with economic matters after the recession, TARP, stimulus, and debt crisis. And most Tea Partiers wouldn't call themselves libertarians anyway. They are social conservatives who have gotten hip to fiscal conservativism late to the game. They will probably forget about it later, of course. Hopefully, some things get achieved, and the furor doesn't die with the Obama Administration. And I hope they let the percentage who are actual libertarians and constitutionalists have a say.
    That's not flawed methodology if they are concerned with understanding the Tea Party, and not people who call themselves libertarians, and indeed th article is about the Tea Party. The point is like the article said, that the best predictor for who would end up being a Tea Partier were actually aspects of entrenched conservatism.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    But its funny how none of the people who actually cared about fiscal conservatism are now in the tea party, or at least a small number of them. Why is there a disproportionate number of highly religious people in the Tea Party? Were the religious the only ones who decided enough was enough when the bailout happened?

And I dont see where you get that the Tea Party isnt Libertarian, or at least claims to be.
    +10% Crit Chance

Permabanned

its sad that in 2011 the usa still regards this as newsworthy.
    get over it, jeez.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That's not flawed methodology if they are concerned with understanding the Tea Party, and not people who call themselves libertarians, and indeed th article is about the Tea Party. The point is like the article said, that the best predictor for who would end up being a Tea Partier were actually aspects of entrenched conservatism.
    Sure it is. It doesn't account for the fact that the point of ideological emphasis has shifted for a percentage of these people. It's treating some aspects as static when the conditions have changed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"