123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Default Moron Admits To Rape In Comedy Routine

Here's the article at NPR - "Your Friends Are Not Your Audience: A Disturbing Internet Lesson In Perspective.

Relevant bits:

It's a piece of necessary wisdom that will be shared with countless college students this fall by nervous parents: Tell a story at a party, and it's heard by a handful of people, whose reactions you perhaps have some ability to predict. Tell it on the internet, and it will be heard by the people you know and the people you don't — and the latter outnumber the former by several orders of magnitude. Don't put your picture on Facebook flashing the camera or looking drunk or kissing someone you might later regret kissing.

But who you are talking to no longer has anything to do with who you think you're talking to. You can tell a story to your narrow circle a hundred times and have nobody bat an eyelash, but the minute you step outside that circle, everything is completely different.
    At an improv comedy show on August 14, audience members were invited to step up to the microphone and tell a story that would inspire an improv set. Partway through the performance, a man who identifies himself as "Eric" begins to tell his story. He explains that he was working as a host/cook at Second City in Chicago, and a drunk woman from out of town hit on a friend of his, but the friend had a girlfriend, so he effectively passed her number off to Eric. (Like ... a baseball card? If you already find this story creepy, rest assured that it's only getting started.)

In Eric's version of events, he goes to the woman's hotel room, and she tells him he's not the guy she invited. "Yeah," he says, "but I'm the guy who showed up." [Huge audience applause.] She tells him to leave, but he persists (with charming lines like "my friend said this was a sure deal"), and when that doesn't work, he asks to borrow her cell phone, telling her it's so he can get a ride and leave. When she goes into the room to get her phone, she leaves the door open. As he describes it, this made him think, "Bingo." (Be aware before you watch the video, where Eric begins speaking at about the 38-minute mark: It's upsetting and crude.) (And "Yowie.com," which hosts the video and offered it as an embed, has written to us to make sure we tell you that that's where the embedded video came from. So now you know: Get all your incredibly uncomfortable monologues from "Yowie.com.")

So he goes into the room and closes the door behind him. She tells him again that he needs to leave, and at that point — again, quoting Eric — his thought is, "It's now or never." So she asks him to leave again, and he says he doesn't think she really means it, and then they "end up on the bed ... making out." How exactly they "ended up on the bed" when she was just telling him to leave repeatedly is left unstated, but to cut to the chase, he winds up having sex with her, after which she tells him to get out. Asked if she was attractive, he gives a noncommittal "eh."

[I'll wait here while you take a hot shower and wash off that story.]

Predictably, the question arose pretty quickly, as Jezebel asked it, "Is This Comedy Monologue A Rape Confession?" Since then, there's been extensive discussion in various comment sections of the fine points of consent and law and intoxication, and since The Second City tweeted from its official account that it had "alerted the proper authorities," those questions will have to be answered by people who can figure out what really happened and whether all or any of this story is true.

Here's the thing, though. In the best case scenario — in the absolute sunniest way you can possibly look at this story — Eric is telling a story that he thinks is really funny about how he used an anonymous woman like a blow-up doll, doing whatever he had to in order to get in the door, ultimately persuading her to go along, caring not at all that she didn't want to have sex with him, having sex with her, and then leaving. He treats her like she's inhuman and valueless and gross and nasty but still fine for having sex with once, and he thinks he's the hero of this story.
    Here's the video:

http://de84l54f2hdcz.cloudfront.net/5714/final.ogv
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Wow, that's fucked up. It's obvious he doesn't think he did anything wrong, unless it's in a "You dawg!" rascally sense. I'm trying to wrap my head around what he thinks happened that makes him so obviously proud of the story. Persistence in the face of a level of rejection which would crush lesser men? Saying and doing all the right things to turn a hopeless situation into a victory? Being such a player that he can even have sex with a woman who doesn't want to have sex with him? Going about everything in exactly the wrong way yet still scoring?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Wow, that's fucked up. It's obvious he doesn't think he did anything wrong, unless it's in a "You dawg!" rascally sense. I'm trying to wrap my head around what he thinks happened that makes him so obviously proud of the story. Persistence in the face of a level of rejection which would crush lesser men? Saying and doing all the right things to turn a hopeless situation into a victory? Being such a player that he can even have sex with a woman who doesn't want to have sex with him? Going about everything in exactly the wrong way yet still scoring?
    Women have told me rape stories worse than that by a long shot. But it sounds consensual in this case, not rape. Notice that the woman in this story didn't cry rape at all. It is usually easy to distinguish real rape from this: for instance, lots of bruises and blood on the victim and usually on the rapist.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This part:

She tells him again that he needs to leave, and at that point — again, quoting Eric — his thought is, "It's now or never." So she asks him to leave again, and he says he doesn't think she really means it, and then they "end up on the bed ... making out." How exactly they "ended up on the bed" when she was just telling him to leave repeatedly is left unstated, but to cut to the chase, he winds up having sex with her, after which she tells him to get out.
    is missing the crucial details that make it rape or not.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This part:

is missing the crucial details that make it rape or not.
    It's way too late for that. A woman is not going to get very far in this case even if she called the cops immediately, much less months later with all the evidence gone. And the man's story makes it sound consensual.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

To me, it sounds pretty likely that it was rape and he's glossing over the details to make it sound like it isn't, but women are smart enough to know how difficult it is to prove.

So even though it probably was rape, she knows that if she reported it, she would have to go through a huge ordeal, and lose the case anyway for lack of proof beyond reasonable doubt that it wasn't consentual. The story goes to show that maybe some people need a bit more education about what "consent" means. Drunk and unable to defend yourself does not equal consent.

It has been estimated that only about 1% of rape cases are prosecuted, and only a small portion of those result in a successful prosecution because it is so difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

But yes, there are also false accusations, and it would be horrible to be falsely accused, so there is good reason for demanding proof.

Having said all that, sure, it's also possible that she consented. We'll never know for sure, and there's no way to prove it either way. So if there wasn't consent, the difficulty/impossibility of proving it is why she never pressed charges and probably never will.

MBTI
    ISTx

Wow that video turned awkward...

figsfiggyfigs

I'm not going to even watch this. I'm extremely sensitive to awkward situations. They make me very anxious and uncomfortable. I can just imagine everyone's awkwardness and discomfort. It's horrible.

I will read the article now.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Gross. What I also don't get is that some men seem to think that just coz a woman is feeling frisky, she'll sleep with *anyone*. Hello? It's not coz she's giving her number to your friend (even making it clear in the process that it is a done deal), that *any* man can walk in there and get the same treatment.
    Same thing, if someone is dressed provocatively and dances even seductively for your friend, doesn't mean she'll be welcoming you into her bed.

Wtf.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    It has been estimated that only about 1% of rape cases are prosecuted, and only a small portion of those result in a successful prosecution because it is so difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Really? Where have you read this? That means there are less prosecuted rape cases than INTPs
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex