User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I've never heard of the 1% figure, but it wouldn't surprise me. According to my university criminology text, it's estimated that only about one in twenty break and entry occurances result in someone being prosecuted (the text used that crime as an example of how the number of crimes that make it through each stage of the justice system decreases). That's five percent. If those are the stats for break and entry, it wouldn't surprise me at all if rape cases had even lower rates, since those are so often unreported.

It likely does vary by area, and by definition of rape.

MBTI
    INFJ

How do we know this story is even real? How many people make stupid stories like this up?
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    I think I got the 1% estimate from our self defense teacher back in the early 90s, and I think she worked at a rape crisis center.

Things may have changed significantly since then, but those other figures sound high to me. I have a number of friends who have been raped (all "date rape" scenarios, some involving forced lost virginity), most of whom didn't report it.

I don't know of anyone personally who prosecuted.

There is a lot more awareness of "date rape" these days, so it would be awesome if there actually has been a dramatic shift in statistics because of it.

When it happened to my friends, that was back in the days when it was considered the woman's fault if she allowed herself to be alone with a guy ever, even on dates, even in a car. Back in the late 80s, people didn't like to believe that this shit happens, so it was usually considered the woman's fault, except among close friends. So because of that, it was usually only close friends who knew about it.

When my cousin reported an incident (early 90s?), the cops were really rude and treated her like a criminal, so she gave up on it.

I think there has been a major increase in the awareness of sexual assault (especially in high schools and colleges) in the past 20 years, and there has been a general decrease in violent crime in many countries since the early-1990s, but 1% sounds EXTREMELY low to me. I mean, men are FAR less likely to report being raped, and they still do at a 10% rate. I find RAINN to be a much more trustworthy source than an individual self-defense teacher who (my being cynical here) has every reason to cite inflated victimization rates to scare people. And, not to denigrate your friends or any real victims, you have to take into account that about 1 in 12 who tell you they have been assaulted or raped aren't telling the truth (either lying outright or honestly believing they were assaulted when a crime didn't occur).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think there has been a major increase in the awareness of sexual assault (especially in high schools and colleges) in the past 20 years, and there has been a general decrease in violent crime in many countries since the early-1990s, but 1% sounds EXTREMELY low to me. I mean, men are FAR less likely to report being raped, and they still do at a 10% rate. I find RAINN to be a much more trustworthy source than an individual self-defense teacher who (my being cynical here) has every reason to cite inflated victimization rates to scare people. And, not to denigrate your friends or any real victims, you have to take into account that about 1 in 12 who tell you they have been assaulted or raped aren't telling the truth (either lying outright or honestly believing they were assaulted when a crime didn't occur).
    Yes, you would expect an organization like RAINN to have reasonably good stats, and I do believe that awareness has improved pretty significantly since then. So the 1% number may indeed be too low, even though it sounds about right.

Those numbers you quoted sound awfully high, but hopefully they are correct. I might do some research later and get back to the thread with them.

(I love that your avatar suits your posts in this thread perfectly. )

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Yes, you would expect an organization like RAINN to have reasonably good stats, and I do believe that awareness has improved pretty significantly since then. So the 1% number may indeed be too low, even though it sounds about right.

Those numbers you quoted sound awfully high, but hopefully they are correct. I might do some research later and get back to the thread with them.

(I love that your avatar suits your posts in this thread perfectly. )
    Meaning I look concerned, or I look rape-y?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Meaning I look concerned, or I look rape-y?
    When I wrote it from my cell phone, I was remembering the raised eyebrow, like skepticism. Like this but friendlier. Then after I hit send, I noticed that it also looks like you're shirtless in the bathroom, sorry, didn't mean to add irony with that comment. And no, you don't look like a rapist! You look like a good guy.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Also, a rapist.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Also, a rapist.
    Don't be mean....

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

honestly believing they were assaulted when a crime didn't occur.
    I'm trying to understand how or why this would occur...
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I'm trying to understand how or why this would occur...
    Two drunk people having sex.