User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

I fail to see the guy's logic here.

"I'm annoyed at my younger sibling, therefore it's okay to kill him."
    "I want a bike, therefore it's okay to steal it."
    "I'm horny, therefore it's okay to make her have sex with me."

When did we forget the simple fact that women are people?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    A partner can be enthusiastic without appearing so. Some people are just timid and quiet in sexual situations.
    True, but surely it can't be that difficult to tell if someone is into it or not....

Somehow, I don't think telling someone to gtfo counts as timid enthusiasm.

(I know you weren't trying to imply that it does, just sayin' for this case.)

ReflecTcelfeR

He started off talking about getting the misery out of the way... He just forgot about the question he should have asked the audience about rape. Classic.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Really? Where have you read this? That means there are less prosecuted rape cases than INTPs
    The common sense factor backs up these statistics, at least for me. I've never had a circle of female friends I've interacted with where no one had been assaulted sexually during a point of time in their lives. Ask the amount of girls who have gone to court over it? I've never met one.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Women have told me rape stories worse than that by a long shot. But it sounds consensual in this case, not rape. Notice that the woman in this story didn't cry rape at all. It is usually easy to distinguish real rape from this: for instance, lots of bruises and blood on the victim and usually on the rapist.
    Please tell me you are joking?

Are you familiar with the concept of 'acquaintance rape'?

Also, just remember the rapist is telling the story.

Um...you seriously think a woman has to tell her rapist, "Dood, you just raped me," to make it legit?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Um...you seriously think a woman has to tell her rapist, "Dood, you just raped me," to make it legit?
    Apparently, a rose isn't a rose by any other name..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This part:

is missing the crucial details that make it rape or not.
    This. The story lets us know he's a boor, but not whether he's a criminal.

P.S. The guy sounds a little like Quentin Tarantino on Quaaludes to me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Those figures are nonsense. RAINN (Rape Abuse & Incest National Network; great and important organization) has compiled police data and put the number of unreported rapes at about 60%. If a rape is reported, there is a 50.8% likelihood of arrest. If there is an arrest, there is an 80% chance of prosecution. Those prosecutions result in a 58% conviction rate.

Sadly, the FBI has consistently put the figure of unfounded rape cases (willfully false or sexual encounters that do not fit the definition of rape) at about 8%, so that does happen much more often than one would think, with awful consequences.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The common sense factor backs up these statistics, at least for me. I've never had a circle of female friends I've interacted with where no one had been assaulted sexually during a point of time in their lives. Ask the amount of girls who have gone to court over it? I've never met one.
    I guess because I am young I haven't really met anyone who has been sexually assaulted. 1% is just really low. I would actually assume it is that low based on common sense, but I was curious to see a report.

Although I think that general sexual assault is different from rape. Both are serious offensive, but it is kind of like the difference between punching the lights out on a guy, and torturing/murdering him.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

I think I got the 1% estimate from our self defense teacher back in the early 90s, and I think she worked at a rape crisis center.

Things may have changed significantly since then, but those other figures sound high to me. I have a number of friends who have been raped (all "date rape" scenarios, some involving forced lost virginity), most of whom didn't report it.

I don't know of anyone personally who prosecuted.

There is a lot more awareness of "date rape" these days, so it would be awesome if there actually has been a dramatic shift in statistics because of it.

When it happened to my friends, that was back in the days when it was considered the woman's fault if she allowed herself to be alone with a guy ever, even on dates, even in a car. Back in the late 80s, people didn't like to believe that this shit happens, so it was usually considered the woman's fault, except among close friends. So because of that, it was usually only close friends who knew about it.

When my cousin reported an incident (early 90s?), the cops were really rude and treated her like a criminal, so she gave up on it.