User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think in a way it's a combination, but if you're going to bring brand loyalty into the already solid picture for Apple, then MS is going to lose because there's not a brand on earth that can rival the zealotry of the Mac fanbase. While I'm using market cap, I'm also figuring in prospects for growth and what the landscape looks like going forward. MS tends to only play in markets it already owns or flail about in markets that it doesn't. They're 2 years behind the markets with the most growth [smartphones/tablets, cloud services] and essentially missed the MP3 player generation. Apple has a more attractive strategy and recent track record of creating new markets for products out of thin air. The only thing MS has had success with recently is the Xbox, and they got rid of the people responsible for it over the years

Graphs and pure numbers help, but I'm always a believer in context and the "flow" to a company so to speak. But it's mostly numbers
    Awesome answer. Thank you.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Apple could invent a dick sucking machine and I would still hate them.

As a business which one is more valuable? Apple, for the simple reason its shares are worth more as discussed earlier. That's really the only metric by which a business is valued.

Which one is more 'important', or 'better' at what it does? Those are much more complicated questions.

I think a direct Apple to Microsoft comparison is silly because, other than in a handful of markets (I'm thinking Zune vs. iPod) they don't compete directly. They're both in the same industry but Apple is hardware and Microsoft is software. Yes, Apple writes software, but only for their machines; they don't sell it to anyone else. In fact, Mac OS won't install on anything other than an Apple computer because it was deliberately written that way.

Apple, as a business, is worth more because it dominates the "electronic trinket" industry. iPod essentially has no worthwhile competitors and iPad's competitors are falling by the wayside. iPhone has more competition but it's faltering too (particular companies like Nokia and Research in Motion). The software Apple writes exists only because of the Apple hardware. If not for the hardware Apple wouldn't write any software at all. Apple also makes computer hardware accessories like mice and keyboards but like the software the accessories only exist to compliment the base hardware, e.g. Apple keyboards are made for Apple computers.

On the other hand Microsoft is at its core a software company that is slowly branching out to make bits of hardware. They make video game consoles, media players (Zune, one of which I've never actually seen; I wouldn't even know where to buy one) and some computer accessories (mice, keyboards and such). On the software side they have many competitors, most of which are small and some of which are open source and giving away the products for free (Mozilla, OpenOffice and such). They compete with Logitech for hardware accessories, and they compete with Sony and Nintendo for video game consoles. Microsoft in many ways still 'owns' the software market but their competition is stronger than Apple's competition for iPods and iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    As a business which one is more valuable? Apple, for the simple reason its shares are worth more as discussed earlier. That's really the only metric by which a business is valued.
    No argument from me. I own the stock.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Apple, because they force Microsoft to stay on their toes.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

I believe microsoft has a more stubborn fanbase. To me, that's the best indicator. Loyalty.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

Rather choose Microsoft, at least when it comes to computers.

But on a business example, Apple is making money.

Other examples, companies like Microsoft and IBM would do better. Right now, Apple is mainly a $$$ company. Companies which used to be all over the place, like IBM, are more geared towards research and development these days.

Quite frankly, I would rather buy a PC/laptop at the same price as a low-end macbook. I get better cpu, better graphics, and better ram for about the same price. Because, right now, what most people are paying for when it comes to a macbook is either the branding/or the specific programs related only to Apple.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

According to Peter Drucker the purpose of business is to make a customer. Based on that criterion alone Microsoft would win, since they have created many more customers than Apple has.

However Drucker gives this as the purpose of business, because this is how business is intended to serve humanity. And if you look at the satisfaction level of the customers, Apple customers are far more satisfied as a whole than Microsoft customers. Apple customers are often described as rapid fanboys, while Microsoft customers often like to complain about how much Microsoft sucks. Clearly on a per customer basis Apple customers are receiving much more value than Microsoft customers are.

Essentially to choose between Apple and Microsoft one must choose between quality and quantity. Apple sells products that customers value more, while Microsoft sells much more of them. In the end I'd say it's more or less a tie.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

C'mon, Mac is catholic and PC is protestant.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I think a direct Apple to Microsoft comparison is silly because, other than in a handful of markets (I'm thinking Zune vs. iPod) they don't compete directly. They're both in the same industry but Apple is hardware and Microsoft is software.
    Yes. Microsoft doesn't even compete with Apple's core products.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype