User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I'm not sure I share your idealism. The US federal government for example has not effectively limited its power.
    Liberal Democracy limits power by the Separation of Powers, and your Federal Government is based on the Separation of Powers. To discover this you only have to read your Constitution.

Unfortunately American popular culture has a paranoid view of your elected Government. But take a tip from a friend an ally and be grateful you don't live in a theocratic dictatorship.

Of course Liberal Democracy is not an ideal system, rather it is the worst system, except for all the others.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@Victor the reason I asked in the above post, is because on the whole, with your meditation and holistic and inner life views, I would characterize you as a mystic. How do you feel you differ from that definition I posted?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Liberal Democracy limits power by the Separation of Powers, and your Federal Government is based on the Separation of Powers. To discover this you only have to read your Constitution.

Unfortunately American popular culture has a paranoid view of your elected Government. But take a tip from a friend an ally and be grateful you don't live in a theocratic dictatorship.
    In theory (and for first century or so of American history), this is true. But when all branches are in cahoots in order to aggregate power to the federal level, it doesn't work so well.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    In theory (and for first century or so of American history), this is true. But when all branches are in cahoots in order to aggregate power to the federal level, it doesn't work so well.
    Mate, mate! Perhaps you should arm yourself against your own elected Government. Perhaps you should join the paranoid militias in the woods training to defend Freedom against the lawful authority of your elected Govnment.

And of course you have a precedent in 1776 when you overthrew lawful authority with guns and violence. Once successful, why not again?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Mate, mate! Perhaps you should arm yourself against your own elected Government. Perhaps you should join the paranoid militias in the woods training to defend Freedom against the lawful authority of your elected Govnment.

And of course you have a precedent in 1776 when you overthrew lawful authority with guns and violence. Once successful, why not again?
    I bet that would end wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    @Victor the reason I asked in the above post, is because on the whole, with your meditation and holistic and inner life views, I would characterize you as a mystic. How do you feel you differ from that definition I posted?
    I have felt that mysticism is the only legitimate part of religion, for it is common and similar across almost all religions. But I am changing my mind.

I think I was hanging onto mysticism as my last contact with religion.

However, like Sam Harris, I am unmooring mytical experience from religion. In other words I am leaving behind the explanations religions give to mysticism.

And that still leaves me with the mystical experience, but without the religion.

It's a bit like the meditation that leaves us wordless - we still have the experience of the world, but without the words.