User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP

Well since not much is really known about autism (some dispute it’s even a single condition but rather a basket of symptoms) it’s hard to isolate variables. The article wasn’t very clear because it seemed to imply that the social setting may have a role to play. It’s a pretty small scale study and I’d be reluctant to do much more with it than to use it to suggest other research. Of course it might help if we read the actual papers instead of that brief news story.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

This is obviously 100% true.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Of the most recent studies on autism, age of parents appears to factor heavily into risk.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, possibly, correlates.

But this is rather difficult for me to connect all the dots up and convey. I was researching links on low empathy, nurological differences, etc. and came across some studies that strongly link low empathy quotient to excessive male growth hormone in the womb during pregnancy. I'm not going to get into the details, as I don't have the time or have it all mapped out anyhow. It's just some ideas. But the more research that I do on nurological activity and personality, the more I am falling into the nature vs nurture camp. So it's not entirely possible to suggest that certain people, with certain cognitive preference, could have certain biological traits, that predisposition something as autism, or anything for that matter.

Vague and unpopular, tear it apart. .
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say, possibly, correlates.

But this is rather difficult for me to connect all the dots up and convey. I was researching links on low empathy, nurological differences, etc. and came across some studies that strongly link low empathy quotient to excessive male growth hormone in the womb during pregnancy. I'm not going to get into the details, as I don't have the time or have it all mapped out anyhow. It's just some ideas. But the more research that I do on nurological activity and personality, the more I am falling into the nature vs nurture camp. So it's not entirely possible to suggest that certain people, with certain cognitive preference, could have certain biological traits, that predisposition something as autism, or anything for that matter.

Vague and unpopular, tear it apart. .
    That is interesting. Lower empathy is often associated with certain types of personalities but I think it is fine line between low empathy associated with preoccupation connected with a rich internal mental life and say the low empathy of the career criminal predator.

I'f that hypothesis is correct it follows that the offspring of certain types of criminals might well have higher rates of autism. I wonder if anybody has taken a look at that. Of course controlling for the variables there would a miserable excercise: given the propencity for criminals to use drugs of various sorts habitually... yeah, that would be a rugged problem finding a good control group.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    but I think it is fine line between low empathy associated with preoccupation connected with a rich internal mental life and say the low empathy of the career criminal predator.
    Yes. I mentioned this exact distinction in another thread, I said:

"Simon Baron-Cohen, a professor of developmental psycho pathology at cambridge has been doing some interesting studies on empathy. He breaks EQ into a range of 6, with zero being no empathy, 6 being excess empathy (these are like your mirror-touch synaesthesia people, etc.) but at the zero empathy level he created 2 addition categories.. you've got your zero positives and zero negatives. Zero positives are things like autism and aspergers.. but no real danger found in this group as they are drawn to patterns, regularity, and general rule abiding. Zero negatives however, are your borderline, anti social and narcissitic disorders. Capeable of inflicting great physical and psychological harm on others, with out any emotional connectivity back.

Now, here is where it gets interesting... in a 10 year study that he has done.. he has found that the more testosterone a foetus generates in the womb, the less empathy a child will have post- natally. There is a clear hormonal link to the developing empathy circuits. "

Edit: So if we can actually observe empathy activity in fmri's, and see that people with alot of empathy have high anterior cingular cortex activity, and we know that people will have lower activity based on hormonal affects of the developing foetus, then I don't see why we would rule out that any brain activity is directly affected by biological factors that developed in the womb through certain hormonal connections that just might be carried by certain types of people. I could have said that better, but fuck it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    That was supposed to be "you guys"...not just guys. I want female opinions too.
    thats funny i read it as you guys.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP

Thank you much. Very interesting. Can the opposite be infered? Too little and you end up with a "6" or is that simply a dangerous assumption?

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    Thank you much. Very interesting. Can the opposite be infered? Too little and you end up with a "6" or is that simply a dangerous assumption?
    Indeed. Though this Baron-Cohen guy found those in the higher ranges to be less dangerous to society, for obvious reasons. But I've been personally looking at correlations between high empathy activity, HSP, and auto-immune disorders, and I do believe there is a link. =D