Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I AM A LIBERTARIAN! (left-leaning anyway)
    in what way do you lean left?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    in what way do you lean left?
    Liberal.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Liberal.
    could you be more specific? on the political spectrum, left implies
    - high taxation of business
    - from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    - altruistic tendencies
    - the needs of the common people above the well off
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Right now couples who are married get legal privileges that unmarried couples don't. If you cut the law out of marriage, how would you address that? Would those privileges now be open to anyone? Would they be open to no one? What?
    That thing have ever been discussed on the thread: we can favor couples union with legal and fiscal privilege, like with the PACS in France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacte_c...olidarit%C3%A9) but gay marriage is bullshit.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Like Magic says, there are some legal aspects to marriage (such as rights to visit in a hospital, rights for property ownership, etc.) that would have to be determined in any case. Marriage was used as the easiest vehicle to which to attach those rights to.
    I'm not convinced of this argument at all. Why not close friends etc...
    Perhaps we inherited these rights de-facto due to our religious heritage?

All laws have unintended effects and we have to consider how existing laws affect behaviour both positively and negatively.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I'm not convinced of this argument at all. Why not close friends etc...
    Well, that would be a total nightmare to try to enforce, and current legal processes typically focuses on family already (which is quantifiable -- you are either related via marriage, bloodline, or other legal declaration), so it's just a continuation of precedence. The "friend" circle is incredibly fluid, and anyone can claim to be a "close friend" if the person is indisposed; would the "close friend" have to be legally validated, to have value as a concept?

I'd like to see someone come up with a plan for how that would work with "close friends".

Perhaps we inherited these rights de-facto due to our religious heritage?
    To me, the most obvious origin is "practicality."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I think gay marriage is a discrimination. I mean, why allow two men to be officially married, and not three men to be officially marry each others? What an injustice!

And what about three women? Or even three women and two men who live in the same house, fuck together and adopt children and then have three mom and two dad? I think we MUST call that a marriage and that it's an unbearable injustice if we can't. So come on! Fight the Power! FIGHT THE POWER!

EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I think gay marriage is a discrimination. I mean, why allow two men to be officially married, and not three men to be officially marry each others? What an injustice!

And what about three women? Or even three women and two men who live in the same house, fuck together and adopt children and then have three mom and two dad? I think we MUST call that a marriage and that it's an unbearable injustice if we can't. So come on! Fight the Power! FIGHT THE POWER!

"says the anarchist"

OMG

Why restrict marriage to adults only? And why exclude animals? And inanimate objects? I might really, REALLY love my new BMW and want to marry it! Bunch of fascists try to tell me who I can and cannot marry.

While I can understand the sentiment I hope when and if it comes time to vote for gay marriage inclusion (and you actually vote) that you would vote FOR it and not against it. A vote against gay marriage doesn't = a vote for expanding the definition of marriage or the eradicating of marriage. In fact, a vote against gay marriage just reifies marriage as being a sanctified and unbreakable and narrow institution involving only 1 man and 1 woman.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post

That "slippery slope" argument's pretty versatile, isn't it?

So when do you project that five-people marriages will become an accepted social norm once gay marriage is accepted? (And do you ever think turtle-dog marriage will become a reality?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    "says the anarchist"

OMG

Why restrict marriage to adults only? And why exclude animals? And inanimate objects? I might really, REALLY love my new BMW and want to marry it! Bunch of fascists try to tell me who I can and cannot marry.

I'm totally agree with that, but as an anarchist, I think there's a difference between tolerate alternatives form of sexuality and officialize it as normal
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%