MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To follow up on this strand:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...ry?id=16342670

After making his historic remarks on same-sex unions last week, President Barack Obama led a conference call with black church pastors to explain his support for gay marriage, the New York Times reports. The call, which was held with "eight or so African-American ministers," occurred about two hours after the president's interview with ABC's Robin Roberts.

....According to the Times, Obama phoned "at least one [the Rev. Joel C. Hunter] of the five spiritual leaders he calls regularly for religious guidance, and his aides contacted other religious figures who have been supportive in the past."

Hunter, the pastor of a conservative megachurch, said he wasn't surprised Obama didn't ask him advice before the ABC interview because "I would have tried to talk him out of it."

At services on Sunday, black churches were conflicted about President Obama's support of gay marriage, according to the USA Today:

Some churches were silent on the issue. At others, pastors spoke against the president's decision Wednesday--but kindly of the man himself. A few blasted the president and his decision. A minority spoke in favor of the decision and expressed understanding of the president's change of heart.
    Yeah, like I said, it wasn't going to go over well. The religion thing is really strong in black community, it's been such even when black were not liberated in this country. Religion was all that kept them alive, and it still permeates the subculture despite the various issues it might face.

It's just a matter of which is more important: Obama's stance on black rights/America or his stance on gay marriage.

They've still got some months to work it out before the election. Hopefully they will reach conclusions similar to Bishop Timothy Clark's, head of the First Church of God, a large African-American church with a television ministry in Columbus, Ohio.

[Clark] felt compelled to address the president's comments at a Wednesday evening service and again Sunday morning. He was responding to an outpouring of calls, e-mails and text messages from members of his congregation after the president's remarks.

What did he hear from churchgoers? "No church or group is monolithic. Some were powerfully agitated and disappointed. Others were curious. 'Why now? To what end?' Others were hurt. And others, to be honest, told me it's not an issue and they don't have a problem with it."

What did the bishop tell his congregation? He opposes gay marriage. It is not just a social issue, he said, but a religious one for those who follow the Bible. "The spiritual issue is ground in the word of God." That said, "I believe the statement the president made and his decision was made in good faith. I am sure because the president is a good man. I know his decision was made after much thought and consideration and, I'm sure, even prayer."
    As long as they continue to believe Obama is a "good man," then perhaps the fallout will not be severe.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I was thinking about this. Shouldn't people vote on what they believe rather than on skin color? (Either for or against)

Yes, I'm an idealist.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I was thinking about this. Shouldn't people vote on what they believe rather than on skin color? (Either for or against) Yes, I'm an idealist.
    I guess they believe that because Obama is black, he will understand them and serve them better than a white corporate raider Republican Mormon who has shown no real sensitivity to those who are different from him.

That might or might not be true.

The other part is just whether they believe that one's same-sex marriage stance is more important than that synergy they feel with Obama. Voting for Obama because they believe he can better understand them is as much an idealistic act as voting against someone because you believe a particular issue like same-sex marriage is more important than that level of connection.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I see what you did there with your adjectives.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I see what you did there with your adjectives.
    I was very proud of myself.

(I didn't even plan it, it just started to happen and I went with it!)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think I would rather vote on class than color. But since there obviously aren't any presidential candidates in either party that aren't rich I guess we don't have that option.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Funny how the votes have increased.

Last week when this conversation started again, I think the tally was

Should be given: 126
    Should not be given: 6

Now it is:
    Should be given: 144 (+18)
    Should not be given: 9 (+3)
    I voted with all the options above just to fuck with the poll.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I voted with all the options above just to fuck with the poll.
    Made a significant difference, thanks!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This first amendment stuff going down in North Carolina has been really grating on my nerves. It has made same sex marriage unconstitutional in NC, and also has made civil unions a bit more sketchy when it comes to the laws around them, and could possibly cause bad things to happen to non married couples with kids. But lucky for them this was aimed mostly at making homosexuals not have the same rights as straight people (both human, just as a reality check), and the pigs who are responsible for wanting inequality in North Carolina will try their damnest to make it so straight white people will come out on top.

People are against this for purely religious reasons (there is NO logical reason which doesn't have a superior counter argument for this to be illegal), which violates the separation of church and state. I personally find that anyone who conspires against others' legal and state rights in this way to be violating the first amendment, and should be punished as such. Since they are conspiring against their fellow man AND breaking the law.

There is NO reason that another person shouldn't be allowed to marry just over gender. Marriage is a legal bond essentially, and taking away someone's legal rights over a religious issue is absolutely ridiculous and cowardly. Making someone's life worse over homophobia is pathetic. Anybody who advocates inequality among people is a terrible, close minded person; period.

I fail to see how it's Christian to want to make others suffer so blatantly like this anyway.

Then again, I also fail to see how Adam and Eve (first two humans) had two sons, then said sons decided to go find wives. Irrational people will never really make much sense to me. lol.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's not really about religion, all that is just misderection. It's about genetic supremacism.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.