First 3435152535455 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I have to wonder here..... is it just knowing their preference that makes you less comfortable, or it seeing same-sex affection, or gender nonconformance?
    It's kind of ironic, because I also feel a little unsettled watching two guys kiss as opposed to two girls kiss. It's a visceral reaction that I can't control, and I don't understand why I have it. I just choose to set it aside because I believe that these relationships are valid and because I respect people regardless of their sexual preference; I choose my rationality over my personal emotional responses to something, and it seems right and fair to have marriage available for cross-sex and same-sex relationships.

It's getting annoying that "homophobia" is getting equated with these sort of awkwardness AND with actually having something against gays, thereby equating the two latter as same
    It is rather annoying. I have the same experience going on trans support sites and listening to people bitch because South Park spoofed a transperson, for example, even if the points raised seemed legitimate and South Park rips on everything under the sun. I like to tell people just to chill out, rather than polarizing situations to create unnecessary extreme conflict.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's kind of ironic, because I also feel a little unsettled watching two guys kiss as opposed to two girls kiss. It's a visceral reaction that I can't control, and I don't understand why I have it. I just choose to set it aside because I believe that these relationships are valid and because I respect people regardless of their sexual preference; I choose my rationality over my personal emotional responses to something, and it seems right and fair to have marriage available for cross-sex and same-sex relationships.
    You know what? I had exactly the same reaction at first... and I turned out to be gay. It makes sense, though, if you think about how many bazillion times one has seen heterosexual couples kiss (and even make out) in person, TV and film. It's utterly unavoidable and so much a fabric of everyday life one hardly notices.

One could imagine that in Lark's nightmare universe (where there are only gay people ) that someone might react similarly seeing a mixed-sex couple kiss for the same time.

But that kind of reaction certainly isn't an "-ophobia"... it's just the kind of visceral reaction we have towards seeing something unusual or transgressive in matters of food and sex. If one sees someone chowing down on a bowl of insects (as a typical American) one might have a pretty visceral reaction to that, too... it doesn't mean that one is an insectophobe or hates all insect-eaters. It also doesn't mean that eating grasshoppers is wrong, vile or unhealthy.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by FireShield98 View Post
    Eh, I post in other threads sometimes.
    Go back to your room! You're grounded.

And don't come out of the Shyness thread again until you've spoken to Amanda.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

The route of attempting to appeal to 'heterosexual compassion' is so condescending and annoying.

This isn't exactly on-topic, but it is about gay rights. This is a concerned, confused, possibly misinformed citizen speaking at a public hearing in Lincoln, Nebraska about an ordinance that would expand the city's anti-discrimination laws to cover sexual orientation. It would be one of the funnier SNL skits in a long time, but it's all too real. I don't know how this woman manages to dress herself or avoid drowning in the shower.

[youtube=nMANMIe0ZZI]Uhhh wut?[/youtube]

P.S., don't miss the kid behind her who can't help laughing out loud. Classic!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Dont worry, he doesnt smell.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I have to wonder here..... is it just knowing their preference that makes you less comfortable, or it seeing same-sex affection, or gender nonconformance?
    No, it's not their preference that makes me uncomfortable, but more the way they act.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Go back to your room! You're grounded.

And don't come out of the Shyness thread again until you've spoken to Amanda.
    Aww...

Permabanned

Some churches, I'm sure, are willing to marry two people of the same sex.

If all religions are equal under the government (at least principally) then I'm not sure how this is even an issue.

Personally...I think marriage is a personal choice. I have little to no business dictating who exactly someone should commit to.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    [...]
    Wonderful. I laughed out loud. Sometimes even YouTube comments are good: "At last a Rethuglican voice of reason. How refreshing she is compared to logical and intelligent folk."