Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Haha @FireShield98 Amanda is going to be pissed that you ventured in to some other thread.
    Eh, I post in other threads sometimes.

Edit: Oh, I just realized that this was my 1000th post... what a pathetic 1000th post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    True. America thrives on that kind of "redemptive tale."

His apology was kind of lame, though. I mean, some things are negligible... but an incident like holding down someone and cutting off their hair while they are crying is actualy in a different class from just shouting something goofy across the classroom, or "stealing halloween candy," etc. It's very personal and very direct and hands-on, and demands persistence to accomplish one's goal, in direct defiance of their begging you to stop. IOW, it's rather sadistic.

Romney also isn't very good at sounding sincere or honed in on what the issues are enough to apologize appropriately for it.

He did make a point, though, that he might not have realized the boy was "gay"; he was just different. Maybe that's worse. Who knows.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...1oHU_blog.html

Riva

512 posts later I finally decided to participate -

Well as mentioned in the OP I am for it. I don't see any reason to be against it at all.

And as an ethical practice - or religious - we should learn to put ourselves in others' shoes before passing judgement. This is easier said that done one might think. But not really. In complicated, serious scenarios such as these where people go to polls - in real life I mean - one should learn to take one's time to 'put one self in another's shoes' before making a decision.

What if you had homosexual tendencies? What if you were one of them? Would you not want to have the same privileges others have? Very simple question. Btu people tend to answer these self directed questions with mockery. Sad! Huh, gays are such queers and weirdos. I'll never be one even in a gay universe one would think.

I do realize my post sounds as if I have passed judgement on homosexuals - deemed they are inferior - but has adopted a tolerant stance. That is hardly what I was thinking. just needed to make a post and putting it that way was the most convenient way I came up with.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Just found an interesting article. For those who think of marriage in terms of a religious institution, this will be a significant read.

Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah. That kind of captured it -- what he did as a boy might not be that relevant today, but how he responded to it as a man today is very relevant.

"You’re just great. I love you.” ha.

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Just found an interesting article. For those who think of marriage in terms of a religious institution, this will be a significant read.

Just a fyi, I've already seen centrist Christians (at least one of which is supportive of same-sex marriage) discussing this article as an example of revisionist history / stretching the truth.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Default Same sex marriage stance in one's respective country -

Where I come from, same sex marriages are not recognized. Sadly so. It is predominantly populated by Buddhist - which does not deem any form of marriage inferior or superior to another, as long as no one is hurt - but same sex marriages are not recognized.

I inquired about this from a few people and sadly the answers received were not what I was expecting. So much for Buddhist philosophy rubbing on their sub-conscience.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Where I come from, same sex marriages are not recognized. Sadly so. It is predominantly populated by Buddhist - which does not deem any form of marriage inferior or superior to another, as long as no one is hurt - but same sex marriages are not recognized.

I inquired about this from a few people and sadly the answers received were not what I was expecting. So much for Buddhist philosophy rubbing on their sub-conscience.
    That kind of seeming contradiction is not uncommon. Thailand is really accepting of transpeople on one level, for example, and kind of demeaning on another -- they're openly kind and accepting, yet there's also a kind of "pity" laced in (bad karma supposedly resulted in someone being in internal conflict / being "born as the wrong gender") and legally they cannot change their gender status. Go figure. Then again, you get Iran, which executes gays but pays for reassignment surgery for transpeople.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That kind of seeming contradiction is not uncommon. Thailand is really accepting of transpeople on one level, for example, and kind of demeaning on another -- they're openly kind and accepting, yet there's also a kind of "pity" laced in (bad karma supposedly resulted in someone being in internal conflict / being "born as the wrong gender") and legally they cannot change their gender status. Go figure. Then again, you get Iran, which executes gays but pays for reassignment surgery for transpeople.
    Iran really does that? I am shocked by their tolerance .

Lolz....

Do they execute them once the person gets the surgery?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Iran really does that? I am shocked by their tolerance .
    Lolz....
    Do they execute them once the person gets the surgery?
    Why would they? If someone is now a woman, then they can sex with a man and be "legit" in their eyes. Think through it.

The issue more is that they put pressure on gay men (who are not "trans") -- "Get a sex change and live, or have sex with a man as a man, and die" -- to get a surgery that ends up leaving them gender dysphoric ... male in terms of self-identity, but in a female body... and thus feeling mutilated rather than whole.

Anyway, tangent.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

What if you had homosexual tendencies? What if you were one of them? Would you not want to have the same privileges others have? Very simple question. Btu people tend to answer these self directed questions with mockery. Sad! Huh, gays are such queers and weirdos. I'll never be one even in a gay universe one would think.
    This would be a simple enough question to bring about a better understanding for all of us, if it weren't for a lot of the potential for people to still feel this way or continue not to care. There are people with homosexual tendencies and just do their best to repress them. There are people with these tendencies and somewhat identify as "gay" but still feel it's more of the right thing to do to get married to someone of the opposite sex. There are gay people (as well as straight) who just don't care about getting married. I don't care about being married to a man or to a woman, so it's not like any personal investment has to be any part of the equation whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by FireShield98 View Post
    I mean, personally, I am a bit homophobic (I'm not saying that I think gays are inferior or anything, or that I would treat them worse than others, it's just that, like with retarded people, I simply am not as comfortable being around them as other people - one of my best friends is bisexual, so I think I'm justified in saying that I treat non-straight people as equals), but I support legalizing gay marriage and stuff. I don't get why people care so much about the way other people live their own lives.
    I have to wonder here..... is it just knowing their preference that makes you less comfortable, or it seeing same-sex affection, or gender nonconformance?

It's getting annoying that "homophobia" is getting equated with these sort of awkwardness AND with actually having something against gays, thereby equating the two latter as same

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So what is an accurate definition of what "be tolerant" means when it's toward people who don't believe that being gay is "right"?
    Tolerant is kind of what the government forces us to be. Accepting is what people often try to force on other people on this issue, inevitably leading to trainwrecks.