MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Eidt 3 -

Dammit Fireshield beat me to the 500th post.

You are unfortunate.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

My first response to the two "arguments" would be:

"It is gross" - That is your subjective judgement and you are entitled to it. However, the law should be about protecting people from harm and keeping society afloat. There are no laws against eating pickles with chocolate pudding. There are lots of heterosexual practices that many people would agree are gross and yet nobody would dream of making them illegal because there is no victim and there are consenting adults involved.

"The bible is against it" - That may very well be so. But America is not a theocracy (unlike, say, Iran) and ultimately laws that negatively impact the rights of citizens can not be passed based purely on religious considerations. A church community is free not to perform a religious wedding ceremony, but that should have nothing to do with what happens at the civil registry. Basic laicism 101.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Hmm...

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the term Populist when it comes to American politics...

No one here would call Romney a Populist...

Santorum, on the other hand...

And Obama last time... (sort of)

ETA: Or Mike Huckabee...

ETA2: Even Michelle Bachmann...

ETA3: And maybe even Herman Cain...
    Oh, I don't care about the word. What I mean is someone who turns with the wind. Do you imagine someone like that would be a good leader?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said on Thursday that while he opposes same-sex marriage, he is “fine” with gay couples adopting children.
    Heh... I am betting he did not clear that statement with his handlers.

That's gonna cause lots of problems in the base and also in the fact it sounds like he is endorsing gays to (1) raise kids (2) without being married. I'm not sure how a position based on gay relationships being morally wrong can justify raising kids in that morally wrong environment, especially with two parents who are not bound together legally in a way that would ensure the most probability of sticking together.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    As for people caring how other people live their lives, some people seem to authentically believe that there's something about "the gay agenda" that's going to spread, like it's a disease. It's like they think that gays are going to dominate the culture and come for their own children and their friends' children?
    The crazy part is that they believe there is a 'gay agenda'. Sure, there are gays with agendas, but the only thing probably all gay people have in common is something that probably all people have in common: they do not want to be regarded as lesser beings for something that is not their fault and that they cannot change.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The crazy part is that they believe there is a 'gay agenda'. Sure, there are gays with agendas, but the only thing probably all gay people have in common is something that probably all people have in common: they do not want to be regarded as lesser beings for something that is not their fault and that they cannot change.
    Exactly. Took the words right out of my mouth, Nic.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Exactly. Took the words right out of my mouth, Nic.
    Just to make room for a dick, honey.

Gee, they do try to homosexualize people! Lark was right after all.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Just to make room for a dick, honey.

Gee, they do try to homosexualize people! Lark was right after all.
    You see, Nic, people aren't born homosexual, but are converted into it by people who were converted by other homosexuals, which in turn were converted by other homosexuals...

Also, gay people started existing only because of the LGBT movement's spontaneous genesis around the '50s. Life was simple and binary before then!
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    You see, Nic, people aren't born homosexual, but are converted into it by people who were converted by other homosexuals, which in turn were converted by other homosexuals...
    "It's not just fun, it's an austere family tradition!"

...Kind of like vampirism.

Also, gay people started existing only because of the LGBT movement's spontaneous genesis around the '50s. Life was simple and binary before then!
    Oh dear, now we're back to, "Was homosexuality created, or did it evolve?" The chicken or the egg?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That's true, but that's not the issue religion-based objections to gay marriage are based on. You're arguing the wrong point. It's not about rights, it's about the value of marriage. If gay people are allowed to marry, then they share the same ceremony as heterosexual couples, but those who object do not believe that what they consider unlike relationships should share a like ceremony.

To them, it's as if a man were allowed to enter the Miss America pageant. They think two things:

1. "Why do you even want to be here? Are you trolling us?"
    2. "When men are allowed to enter the Miss America pageant, identifying as a woman becomes a farce because all the characteristics we've associated with being a woman have been rendered invalid."

So it's not that they are afraid their rights are being infringed. It just makes them feel like their own marriage is devalued if the definition of marriage is expanded to the point where it becomes meaningless.
    I can see what you are saying, and those assumptions are confusing the legal and religious definitions of marriage. If a particular religion wants to only conduct heterosexual wedding ceremonies and only call those valid, that is there prerogative.

This issue of equal rights is viewed based on the the legal standing that allows the homosexual family unit to share the legal benefits of marriage such as health insurance coverage, rights as immediate family in medical crisis, parental rights of both partners for their children, tax breaks, etc.

@Lark - at least in the U.S. when a partner does not share the rights of marriage their well being is placed at risk. Many jobs in the U.S. don't offer any benefits and in many places doctors will not take you if you don't have insurance, although they just say they aren't taking new patients (not to mention all the other benefits they are cut off from). Also, as far as the argument of marriage as a naturally evolved institution, what is your position on polygamy? It naturally evolved and was the norm in certain cultures and has some presence today. The argument can be made that it is a natural institution.

There needs to be a separation of church and state on this issue of marriage. The state institution of marriage should be driven by equal rights for all members of a society. Religious institutions can define it any way they want and only consider the religious ceremony as legitimate in their eyes and in whatever rights they offer their congregation.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.